posible stupid question - cohabiting

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by LydiaNiz, Mar 23, 2012.

1. LydiaNiz

LydiaNiz New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    Apologies if this is idiot level.
    Can diamond doves and/or zebra finches live in the same run as chickens?
    We have 3 bluebells, who usually free-range, but are currently restricted to their run while we have some building work done.
    Due to a friend's moving ,she is looking to rehome some of the smaller aviary birds. Can they cohabit?
    Thanks!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I have Eurasian collard doves in the same pen with ducks and chickens- but I think the finches would be lunch, possibly the little doves too- you would have to have somewhere the little birds can get that the chickens cant to ensure food and saftey- honestly diamond doves and finches are more inside critters.

3. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    i've kept pigeons and doves with chickens, but not small caged ones. The finches would be tough, but you could try......... my advice: sit there and see if the birds are interested in the finch. if they aren't, she'll probably be fine...........

4. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Just make sure the finches and doves have NO WAY out. other wise you'll lose them.

5. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    i've lost doves to escaping..

6. Chickens will kill these type of birds, I have had the unpleasant experience. Keep them seperate from chickens. Pigeons are gentle, but will beat up doves when in a small space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by