Position of Eggs in the Incubator

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Nyssa03, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chirping

Hi all - another Question. I received my XL Egg trays today for the incubator - GQF - it looks like the eggs should sit in the trays - pointy end down, however I think I read in Pete's instructions that they should be horizontal. Help - I'm not planning to set my eggs for a couple of weeks yet but I'm trying to get this all figured out. Thanks for your help

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Songster

The air cell end should be higher than the smaller end.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  3. RURU

RURU Songster

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Goose eggs do best laying on their side to incubate them. Yes pointy side down. I have never use an incubator like what you have. I have an digital R-com and you put the egg on it's side and have dividers and the eggs get rolled by the incubator.

There will be someone from the forum that will use an incubator like your's. I do not.

4. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chirping

Thanks for your replys- I am very concerned about doing this correctly for the "best" outcome. It may seem obvious to some - however, I would like to see a picture to make sure I am going to do it correctly. I did get the XL trays - but like I said it looks like they will be standing almost upright when the tray is flat- I realize it rotates side to side - so they really won't be standing upright (pointy end down). I don't see how I can lay them horizontal and have them stay in the tray???? maybe they will but I can't visualize it. Sorry if I sound dense -just want to do it right

5. RURU

RURU Songster

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    You do not learn Nyssa if you do not ask questions.

6. Blakmage

Blakmage In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    Belfast, Ireland
    I'm having the exact same problem as you Nyssa. I got a small incubator the other day and I'm doing my homework before I get eggs to incubate, just so I give them the best chance possible. My incubator only holds 7 eggs. 6 in a little circle and 1 in the middle. It's so small and the tray is designed so I can only put them pointy end completely down. I've read that putting them on their sides is better and turning a necessity, but with them pointy end down, I'm not sure how best to turn them. Diagrams would be vital as I don't seem to be able to get my head around the idea. Any light someone could shed on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I'd happily repay them with lots of pictures of chicks they helped bring into the world! :)

7. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chirping

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    [​IMG]
    These are wire dividers made for cabinet incubator trays from GQF.com #249 for $13.50 - I use these for goose eggs in my Dickey incubators - They are held in with screws and do a great job

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by