positioning eggs for incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrkpero, Jan 16, 2009.

1. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    I know this topic has probably been done to death, but I need help:) I made a homemade incubator (no turner) and just want someone to clarify the position the eggs need to be in for incubation. Can they lay flat on the wire for the entire 21 days or do most people put them in egg cartons with the fat end up? I am getting ready to put them in the bator and just want to be correct. Thanks so much for all your help! Robyn

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Either one is fine, it is just a preference. I just set my eggs 2 days ago and am using the egg carton method.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    they can lay flat on there sides, but i have better hatches when i put the in cartons with the bottoms cut out and put a spong in the bator to hold water, and put brick under one side of bator to make it act like you have a turner ( put brick on one side for three hours then move to other side) home made turner. if need more info just ask in pm. william

4. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Thank you both for your quick replies. I am going to try the egg cartons. Gotta start somewhere, right?!

5. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    When in doubt, ask yourself, how does the hen do it and you will be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by