positioning feeders relative to plants for cover from predators / wind

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Sep 26, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It is starting to cool off in my area and my free ranged birds are contending with Coopers hawks, reduced temperatures and wind. The forage base (insects in particular) is starting to collapse so either the birds are gonna have to range further or scratch harder for eats. The latter route is taken now since hawks causing chickens to stay close to limited cover. Cool wind is promoting appettite. The chickens also spending more time near feeders. Over longer term plantings to provide cover will be made. For short-term feeders will be moved to near existing plant cover. It is becoming evident that chickens concentrated near some types of plants causes harm to latter. Anyone know of plants that are tolerant of poultry action at their base? I already have a 50 yard strip of bamboo that is an assume wind break and should provide excellent cover from hawks.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My chickens don't mess with most of the plants in my yard. The more tender perennials are fenced with that decorative wire fencing mostly to keep them from scratching them up. They do no damage to the trees and woody shrubs.
    You could also consider fast growing vines on trellises or non growing cover like hardscaping.

Good luck and post pix.

Imp

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This one of my cover sites with feeder at edge. Taller plants to right sweet sumac. To left dominated by golden rod. Thick enough to keep hawk from doing anymore than straight shot on wing but chicken has got to see hawk coming. Cold snap pushing hawks through again but luckily they are concentrating on blackbird and starling flocks.

Shot from yard

[​IMG]

Shot showing edge

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by