POSITIVE THINGS ABOUT DUCKS :) !!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shmooborp, Jun 25, 2008.

1. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

welll helllooo there! ok.. so im gonna be incubating some duck eggs here pretty soon... so i wanted to know what the positive things about keeping ducks [​IMG] .. not the negatives... cuz i already know they are messy.. and if u have any helpful tips about ur experiance whith keeping ducks with what works and what doesent.. thanks alot for all the help!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    They are more affectionate than ducks (I think)
    When you go outside they follow you (if you bond with them)
    There is a HUGE bond between you and them if you spend time with it
    Not as mean as chickens

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Here is a positive:

[​IMG]

What more do you need? [​IMG]

4. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Well, you will grow very attached to a few (if not all) of them.

They will eat slugs!

They will never fail to make you laugh, if you watch them long enough.

They are little feathered packages of joy. Remember to take time every day to acknowledge this.

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

omg! wildsky its sooo cute!! i sure hope myn hatch!! omg... melting into a puddle of goo ... are they louder than chickens? btw im getting runner duck eggs [​IMG] wow.. soo cute... any one have any helpful; tips on keeping ducks that u have hads experiance from?

6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    In my experience, runner ducks are noiser than other ducks. Females are louder than males. My ducks are loudest when they want out in the morning. Otherwise they are relatively quiet.

There are lots of tips on this site, if you search. I just don't feel like re-iterating them all right now, unless you have a specific question. Call me lazy.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It is a duck. What is more positive then that?

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    They're CUTE!!! Make that ADORABLE!!!!! They splash in the water and it's so fun to watch! They have the cutest little quacks! AND... they do that cute little tail/butt wiggle thing that they do.... hehehehe Ducks are the cutest!!! I'll probably get some...someday [​IMG]

9. ladywolfe

ladywolfe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Georgia
    We just hatched a reuen duckling ( i think thats how u spell it ) And he's so cute!!! we named him Howard lol after the movie....
    Too bad we can't keep him bc we don't have a lake or other ducks.... lol but i can't get over how cute they are. For some reason though he lets the chicks we have him in with pick on him when he's twice their size... btw, can ducklings swim in water b4 they have their feathers bc i could have sworn i saw a mother with ducklings and she lets them swim fuzz and all? can it be the same with tame ducklings?

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I must say, after only one day with ducklings, they are SO very very easy for little kids to handle. My daughter is almost 5, and my son almost 10 - and both of them had two ducks each on their laps, the little things just sat down, they tried all the clothing and fingers and such to see if anything tasted good - but they were not nearly as jumpy around as chicks.

My kids are totally in love! (OK OK we all are [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by