Poss Egg Bound Hen... Pic

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommto3kiddos, Aug 16, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    This evening I noticed my most season hen whom is around 22 weeks old was leaking some blood and clear slimey discharge coming from her vent. She was acting fine earlier, but this evening started huddling in the corner of the run with her butt up in the air. I felt around and I believe she is egg bound. I tried a few tricks an older vet I worked for told me, but nothing has worked. I see her working her vent trying to get the egg out, but so far no luck.. I have seperated her in a comfy quiet pen with lots of hay. She is eating and drinking good, but Im worried about her..

Any other tips or could it be something else?? Thanks!!

Here she is in the run...
    [​IMG]

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I just responded to your other post, but I will re-write it here [​IMG]
    You can try giving her a warm bath, or even just putting her in the bathroom and running the shower very hot so that it creates a lot of steam. Massage her abdomen while she is soaking in the warm water to help try to move the egg/s out. You can repeat this as necessary. Dry her off afterwards and keep her in a warm dark place, the dark will keep her from producing more eggs. You can also rub oil inside and around her vent to help things slide out more easily. I hope she recovers soon!

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    So I tried the warm soak this morning and still nothing. She is currently sitting in her box in the dark coop. She did move around this morning, but not much at all.. I feel so bad for her. I also put some veg oil on her vent (another per older vet suggestion & above poster suggestion).. Im so worried about her.

Anyone else have any tips???

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by