Possessed pullet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by opaldawn26, Mar 13, 2017.

1. opaldawn26

opaldawn26 New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    I have a Welsummer pullet that started laying a few weeks back and then just stopped. Initially a shy, nervous girl, she is apparently channeling her inner-rooster now. She has gone beyond "see me" pecking to all out attacks on my lower body and hands. Not sure what to do so I thought I'd see if anyone had ideas or suggestions.

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Do you think she may be broody? Usually, I'd say that stopping laying right after starting is okay, just her settling into the system, but broody hens may attack to protect their nest. Could she be missing some of the instincts of going broody?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe she needs to be re-possessed (rehomed). Does she attack anyone else or fight within the flock?

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under opaldawn26 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am also wondering if she is broody?

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, opaldawn, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! Hope you deal with this bossy and bullying bird! Good luck and thanks for joining BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by