Possessive Pullet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eggie and Me, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Our flock consists of 4 RIR's and 3 BR's. They are all the same age, 23wks. The RIR's started laying at 21wks, Labor Day. One of the Barred's started today. Since they started laying one of the Barred's has suddenly become very possessive, OF ME? [​IMG] If I pet any of the gals other than her she attacks whom ever I'm with. The concern is they're all usually so tame, almost to tame and I'm wondering if this behavior is going to get worse. Actually they're so tame they peck on my kitchen door if I go into the house OR they just follow me in. They all mantle [​IMG] anytime I come around and love their necks feathers especially ruffled. Our gal with the attitude is not laying yet, will she settle down once she starts? Which I suspect by behavior will be sometime this next week. Any ideas??

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Sounds like roo behavior...........are you sure she's a she?
    If so, I've heard that sometimes a hen will act like a roo if there is no real roo in the flock.

3. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:She's a she.................................. This particular Barred was really slow in growing. I really babied her - A LOT! Carried her around in my pocket even.. Yeah, I know, I'm a wierdo. LOL She'll follow me into the house, around the yard and after she's done free ranging in our yard. With me acting as look out for predators, she comes and lays in my lap.... She only acts possessive IF I dare to touch anyone else, including our little mini doxie. Who by the way adores "his" flock...

4. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

congrats, you have now successfully mated and pair bonded with your hen........of course now you will have to perform all those tasks associated with your new status in the henhouse, I'll leave that up to your imagination. Perhaps others on the forum can suggest suitable behaviors for you to do to make the flock feel at home.....probably the first thing that comes to mind is that you should begin spending nights in the coop....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by