possibilites for my Cayuga's to no be laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rekkas peeps, Feb 19, 2013.

1. rekkas peeps

rekkas peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Goffstown NH
    I have 2 Cayuga Ducks about 7-9 months old. Im almost positive they are females because they do not have the curled drake feather. we have gotten no eggs from them at all. they are housed with my chickens and all get along fine. plenty of food, water and treats for all. they have their own area in the coop where the hunker down at night. any ideas why they haven't laid? any thoughts would be aprreciated?

2. dennin7418

dennin7418 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Sterling, MA
    All my ducks, including Cayugas, stopped laying since Thanksgiving...I got a few eggs this past week I'm assuming because the days are getting longer...Likely just the season.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I agree. They turned old enough to start in fall/winter. That is typically off season. You should start seeing eggs soon as the days are getting longer.

4. Freakmonger

Freakmonger Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Woodinville Washington
    So laying then is associated with the day length, and if so can artificial light be added to induce laying?

5. rekkas peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Goffstown NH
    they've never even laid in summer/fall time. no eggs from then EVER..... i think my ducks are just protesting

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Yes but care needs to be taken in adding light. Adding light throws off their natural rhythm. It is harder on them and likely to result in a faster decline in egglaying (over time) I am not an expert in it and, frankly, don't recommend it, but light needs to be added slowly, decreased slowly and then you need to force molt them. I prefer my birds to be as natural as possible.
    They were just getting to the age of laying when fall came. 6 months is the average age for laying to start but because they weren't this age when the days started getting shorter they didn't start. You should start seeing eggs soon.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  7. rekkas peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Goffstown NH
    UPDATE!!!!!
    we FOUND and egg!! we actually found an egg!!!! im so excited i had to tell you all!! silly babies hid it real good!! im super excited!!! [​IMG]

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

9. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    I was thinking the same thing about my welsh harlequin. She was hatched last spring and was just getting old enough to lay this fall. So far, no eggs from her. She is the only duck and I KNOW she is not hiding eggs from the area where she is locked up at night. I just need to be patient...but it is SO HARD. Congrats on the egg. Hopefully mine will follow soon, however we just got dumped 9 inches of snow on us so I am thinking it will be awhile yet :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by