Possibility of breeding for purple/pink bloom

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by kgilmore1, Apr 7, 2018.

1. kgilmore1

kgilmore1 Songster

Mar 26, 2017
    I have an ISA Brown (I know already a "mixture" and unreliable) that lays beautiful brown eggs with a purple/pink bloom consistently. I was wondering if it was possible to try to incubate and single out the tinted bloom gene? What breed would be best to put with her for that purpose? I'll add pictures but it's incredibly hard to get the total effect on camera. Also every egg pictured is actually a brown egg identical to the ones in the center of the carton but with a thick bloom.

Attached Files:

2. Justso

Justso Songster

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicagoland DuPage Co
    Maybe try photographing against a white piece of paper? That pink carton is throwing me off maybe..

3. kgilmore1

kgilmore1 Songster

Mar 26, 2017
    IMG_3287.JPG
    It's so hard to photograph!

4. Justso

Justso Songster

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicagoland DuPage Co
    I know what you mean!! I applied a filter to balance white and can see it much better. I'll bet it's impressive in person.

5. ZurcherFarms

ZurcherFarms Songster

Jan 9, 2018
  6. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    As with any other traits like humans have found to be desirable for thousands of years, we can breed for the bloom you see(I see it all of the time when I go to the store as most of the brown colored eggs on stores come from ISA Browns or brown egg hybrids.

What you stablish is a Line breeding program, its going to take longer than expected and will require more resources than a regular line breeding program based on feather color phenotypes, but its very much possible.

Breed that hen with your rooster, Keep the best rooster out of that cross, dont keep the pullets as chances are that this bloom is either sex linked or recessive in nature(not all ISA browns display the trait).. That would be the F1 result(keeping cockerels and culling pullets)

F1 rooster crossed back to ISA Hen(Parent line 1) the result of such cross is called BC1(Back Cross to parent line 1) Out of this cross you will keep the pullets and the cockerels, about 50% of the pullets should lay bloom colored eggs

TnJ_Farm, ZurcherFarms and ronott1 like this.
  7. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    :thumbsup

Sounds like a fun project!

8. ZurcherFarms

ZurcherFarms Songster

Jan 9, 2018
    I wonder if introducing a rooster from a salmon favorelle or croad langshan would help at all?

ronott1 likes this.
  9. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    I would say that any rooster that lays brown eggs would be best

ronott1 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: