possibility of leghorn hens.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bluefeather2697, Dec 15, 2011.

1. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    i've always wanted to have white leghorn hens, but what is only available are males (chicks) [​IMG] because all their female sisters are sent to layer farms. [​IMG] i've seen many posts that talks about mistaken hens, i mean there are hatcheries that pick roos instead of pullets mistakenly. my question is, is there a possibility that if i will buy 10 or 20 of them (male leghorn chicks), i will get 1 hen or what? i've been searching for this wonderful hen for about 1 year now, and i found nothing. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, right now is the wrong time of year to find any hatcheries with ANY chicks available. In the spring they will ALL have pullet chicks available.

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    If you are wanting to order chicks anyway, why don't you order them as sexed pullets so you can have girls? Lots of hatcheries will sell sexed pullets, and in small numbers, that way you don't waste your money on a ton of egg producing (therefore not very good meat birds) roosters that you will have to feed and figure out what to do with. If you order them as girls, you only have to worry about the possibility of an accidental roo or two.
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/White-Leghorn-p227.aspx

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/produ...ickens&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT_ID = 'WTLS'

There are other hatcheries that also sell them, and right now, at least some hatcheries have them available.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. bluefeather2697

Nov 9, 2011
    Quote:hi, it's totally different here than in the US. hatcheries have chicks all-year round (mostly game and meat types) but most hatcheries say that they only have leghorn cockerels because all hens are sent very early (day old) to layer farms because egg industry is one of the most dominant industry here. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    where are you located? if the males are day olds as well, you may very well get an accidental female or two, but then what would you do with all the roosters?

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...if you get lucky and get a couple, maybe YOU should start breeding them [​IMG] sounds like a bit of an entrepenurial opportunity if there are others like you that want leghorn hens...

7. bluefeather2697

Nov 9, 2011
    Quote:philippines, i only want the leghorn hens, i have one leghorn roo, and yes, thats my plan, to breed them, IF i will get a hen. here, they sell the male leghorns, 10 heads for $1 dollar, very cheap, they do it instead of killing them.

8. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    you may as well go for it [​IMG] if sexing accuracy is 90% on average, that means that roughly 10% of the chicks they dub as roos may turn out to be girls...which means that if you buy 20 chicks, you MAY get a couple of girls...but what would you do with all those roosters?

9. bluefeather2697

Nov 9, 2011
    Quote:yeah, that's what im thinking right now. maybe i'll sell them? but who will buy? they are not good for meat and i dont like to kill them [​IMG] [​IMG]
    maybe i'll just give them to hatcheries for breeding? idk. and if they will not accept it maybe neighbors will. [​IMG]

10. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    well, I guess you could look at it this way...it will give you the opportunity to pick the best roo out of the bunch (including the one you already have) to continue breeding?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by