Possibility of my son attending school with a murderer

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Sammysmom, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Back in Nov. 2008 an 8 year old boy shot and killed his father and another man who was renting a room in the house. Long story short, a plea agreement was reached in which the boy entered a guilty plea to the shooting of the boarder and the charges for murdering his father were dropped. Now, part of the plea agreement was that this boy could not attend public or private school without an evaluation stating he was of no threat to anybody else. His lawyers have now requested a hearing in order to have this evaluation done and be enrolled back in school. Personally, I have a problem with a confessed murderer attending public school. I have been seriously considering homeschooling (for other reasons) and if this happens, I most definitely will!

Am I crazy or overprotective? What do you guys think?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I think I remember that.
    I would have a big problem with it also. Obviously something is wrong with that child, and he needs lots of help. Putting him back into public school is the wrong thing to do.

3. tomcio

tomcio Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    A good bit of info to add to your post would be the circumstances of the shooting...

What the boy abused? Molested? beaten?... Sold for sex?

Many things will make a person snap.

4. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Personally I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't make me uncomfortable. I may even go so far as to change schools for my son. But at the same time I feel really bad for the other little boy. And that's what he is a little boy. Something had to go terribly wrong in that child's life for that to happen.

5. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:How old is the boy now?

What treatment did he have?

Who is responsible for him now?

6. Sammysmom

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    The child had apparently stated to relative that once he reached 1000 spankings, he was going to kill his father. The father was killed in the house. The boy then called to the boarder, who was out in a truck talking to his wife on the phone, to come into the house. When the boarder walked in the door, the boy shot him. He used a single shot .22 rifle and both men were shot multiple times meaning he would have had to reload between shots. In my opinion, this boy is broken either from abuse or just the way he is wired. Maybe he would be fine around other people, maybe not. In any case, I really don't want my son around someone capable of this kind of violence.

7. Sammysmom

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Quote:How old is the boy now?

What treatment did he have?

Who is responsible for him now?

The boy is now 9 years old. I'm not sure if he's had any counseling or not. He is free right now and living, I believe, with his mother.

8. AndreaGS

AndreaGS Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    West Sacramento, CA
    I'd really want to know the details of the case. Was there provocation? The kid was so young...what led him to do this?

I feel sorry for the kid, but I'd also worry for my own child's safety. I don't think you're crazy or overprotective, but I think the whole situation needs to examined in more depth.

9. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I do believe integrating him back into the school system after only a year is much to soon no matter the provocation. If he was provoked by some awful act there are major scars. I agree with the OP, I would approach the school board.

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It apparently was not self defense and when a child that young could kill someone, there is definately something very wrong with him.

Those are the only details I need to know. I would not want him around my kids. Sorry.

He has already gotten away with two murders, what's to say he wouldn't do it again once he gets into the turmoil of junior high or high school.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by