Possible Additions to Drake Trio?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OldCrookedToe, Nov 25, 2016.

1. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    Okay I'm just going through a few ideas of possible flock additions for the heck of it. I have chickens and ducks and my ducks have their own enclosure (+200 sqr ft.) they sleep in and forage in a big fenced yard during the day. I have 3 male pekin ducks raised from the same batch - they're my only ducks. What would happen if I raised a goose and introduced it to them. I'm scared that it will create tension among them. Would my ducks consider a female goose a mate/ would they consider a male goose competition?
    I doubt I'll get the clearance to get a goose but I'm curious. Thanks! I love waterfowl and am just poking around Christmas gift ideas.

2. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Drakes will see a female goose as some one to mate with. and if you get a gander they might feel the same way. Especially one being young. Drakes will try to mate with anything with feathers whether male or female.If you decide to get more ducks keep this in mind if your drakes get along good now adding females will change the whole dynamics of the flock you'll need at least 3or more females per drake to keep one or more ducks from being over mated. Plus fighting may start with females in the mix. Just things to think about.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  4. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    They already fight every day, it just hasn't been serious yet. Thanks for answering! It's probably best not to add anything they'll see as a duck. They don't hang out with chickens and have never tried to mate with them thankfully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by