Possible ascites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Deanna M, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Deanna M

Deanna M Hatching

Mar 24, 2019
    Hubby got 2 Barred Rocks at the same time and 1 hasn’t grown much. Have gotten Wyandottes same time as well. All have grown a lot except Cruella, one of the Barred Rocks. Swollen, very warm belly. Squishy with a small soft knot on the left side. Eats but doesn’t drink much. Not active and waddles when she walks. She stays under the heat lamp or huddles with other chicks. Labored breathing, no sneezing or coughing, and I haven’t heard any wheezing. Also has ruffled feathers. Could this be ascites? I’ve added a pic with her near the other Barred Rock as well to show sizes.

Attached Files:

2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    casportpony likes this.
  3. Deanna M

Deanna M Hatching

Mar 24, 2019
    The others have grown tremendously, even the ones we got 3 days after her. She is the smallest and not thriving so much.

4. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Not good!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC. It could be ascites, I'Ve seen it twice in young birds. Once it was in peachick with a defective heart valve, the other was in a pigeon. It could also be some sort of bacterial infection.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What does her poop look like?
    How long have you had her, what is her age now?
    It could be Ascites or infection. The symptoms you describe are concerning. I'm not sure exactly what it could be - Ascites is a possibility. Infection also comes to mind Omphalitis.

7. Deanna M

Deanna M Hatching

Mar 24, 2019
    Thank you. That’s what I was thinking but wasn’t too sure.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  8. Deanna M

Deanna M Hatching

Mar 24, 2019
    Poop is dark green/brown with white. We’ve had her going on 3 weeks. I posted a pic of her sitting across from the other Barred Rock we got at the same time. Much smaller than the other.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: