Possible bantam sumatra gene defects?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadyShred, Apr 11, 2009.

1. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    I have 2 bantam sumatra chicks and they are adorable. Eating, drinking, playing, romping, pooping, peeping normally. Thing is . . . one of them is going bald on his back and behind, but he still has his tail. They are about 3 weeks old and we have several other breeds of chicks housed with them, about 25 in all. None of the others are experiencing this baldness. He is acting perfectly healthy, no signs of illness. Though no sign of feathers growing back at all. He looks like he's been waxed, really. I was just wondering if this could be a possible gene defect in the bantam sumatra breed.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Sounds like a slow feathering gene at play. I don't recall the formal word for it, but that's what it looks like. As long as he's healthy, I wouldn't worry. I would not use it for future breeding tho.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    did the chick have feathers there and then begin loosing them?

4. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah, he had baby fuzz, but now most of that has fallen out and the others are growing feathers in but he is not. Poor dude. He does have a strip down the center of his back that's growing in fine, but his hips are very sad. And I know it's not from the other chicks pecking him because none of them pay his back any attention. I watch them and play with them nonstop. I would have noticed something by now if that was the case. I dunno . . . I'm stumped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by