1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible beginning of fowl pox? Help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chantels1, Nov 3, 2016.

1. chantels1

chantels1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    As I let the hens out to free range this morning I noticed one of them had a couple little scabs on her comb as if she had been pecked. I watch the hens for a while and noticed a couple spots on another hen. I also noticed one hand to the side staying away from everybody and that's when I became concerned. I picked her up and her comb seems discolored. Purplish toward the top. She has a few tiny scabs and one white pustule/bump in the crevice. Can I vaccinate today and prevent further spread I have a lot of chickens including babies. What effect would the vaccination have on the meat and eggs also? It has been reported in our area and I've been considering vaccinating but hadn't gotten around to it. Now I'm worried!

Here is a pic. Advice?

[​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

The light purplish tint to the comb is likely because she was cold. As long as they are acting fine and eating and drinking, then hold off on the vaccination. If you do decide to vaccinate, then there will likely be a time where you have to discard the eggs. I can't remember the exact term for it though [​IMG]
    Hope it's nothing serious!

3. chantels1

Feb 24, 2013
    Thank you. I was pretty worried when I posted that. I was able to find info here about letting it run its course vs. Vaccinating. I am worried about the chicks I just hatched. They are just 1 week old. There is a juvenile with the beginning of some lesions, but all the birds with lesions are acting OK. This girl was hiding in the shade. It was 68 degrees out, so she shouldn't be cold. Either way, I will monitor closely. I still need to check her mouth, but I don't want to keep picking her up and stressing her.

Also I need to know if it can be passed via transmission other than the fallen scabs, and mosquitos.

Before zi realized they were sick, I handled them, and then handled my chicks. I didn't wash my hands inbetween. :-(

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Yes, fallen scabs and mosquitoes are two of the main things that spread the disease.
    The chicks might actually benefit a little from the outside birds getting this; a little low-level exposure will give them a chance to build up an immunity to it [​IMG]
    Farrier told me that about salmonella when he heard that I kiss my chickens [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chantels1

Feb 24, 2013

A very interesting theory and perspective. It helps my concerns. We will wait and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by