possible bite? very swollen eye/face

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sshavney, Oct 14, 2011.

1. sshavney

sshavney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    [​IMG]

I just happen to walk by my Buff Orpington last night and see that one side of her face was swollen and eye was closed shut almost. This had to have happened while I was at work yesterday. I gathered her up, secluded her and without thinking or asking those more knowledgeable than myself, gave her 0.5cc of LA200. I wiped it with a warm cloth which took some of the eye boogers out. I was thinking it could be a spider bite or something. Any suggestions? She's about 10 months old and was fine on Wednesday.

2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Could it have been a snake? My sweet baby dog was bitten by a venemous snake several years back and her face was swollen and her eye shut! I see you are in OK . I am in South Texas and the snakes are moving around because of the recent draught ending rain and it's getting to be winter and they are looking for a hibernating spot!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    LA200, liquamycin or liquid oxytetracycline, may or may not be effective in treating a respiratory diseases as I suspect your bird might have. LA200 is geared to treat E Coli, enteritis type bacterial infections. I noticed what appears to be drainage from a nostril as well. Smell around the head/nostril area for a foul odor, it would be an indicator of coryza. No odor could possibly be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.)
    Are there any environmental issues that could cause this? Ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, pollen, smoke, pesticide use etc...can possibly cause this as well. Have you introduced new birds to your flock, been to a show or swap meet and handled birds there, then came home and handled your birds? These are examples of methods of disease transmission and not all inclusive. Wild birds can introduce diseases as well as parasites. Here's a link to respiratory diseases. Scroll down to Infectious Coryza, then Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)
    You can read through the other diseases if you wish:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  4. sshavney

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    Well, I havn't introduced any new birds a few weeks. I do have all of them on Duramycin-10 right now. I heard one sneezing but could not pinpoint which one it was coming from so they all are getting treated. I have had Wyandotts in the past get bubbles on their eye but nothing like this. They were over by our lagoon the other day, it could be possible that a snake bit her. That is the only place I've seen snakes on our property. We also seem to have a ton of spiders right now. It didn't look any better before I left for work today. The LA200 bottle said something about treatment for pink-eye.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  5. sshavney

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    Thanks for the info. I will go by TS and see if they have any of those medications. Can't hurt to have them stocked up anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by