1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible blood chicks poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherTheMommy, Apr 23, 2016.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Im not totally sure if its blood but id like to treat all 7 chicks and the adoptive morher silkie. What can i get from tractor supply that cold treat coccidiosis??? That wont cost an arm and a leg -_-

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid, a brand of amprollium is usually available in powder packets there. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon for 5 days. After finishing treatment give them several days of vitamins in their water with some probiotic plain yogurt in food. Can you post a picture of their droppings. Are any acting lethargic or hunched and not eating?

3. Sony57

Sony57 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2014
    Hello Heather,

I think I spent about $25 on the powder and, from what I have read, it should be safe to treat everyone in the flock with.

4. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Everyone is acting totally normal. Running around jumping on mama (my silkie) and eating and drinking. Im going to go check on them again and see if I find anymote abnormal droppings. Will take a picture if i see any.

5. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    I didnt see any abnormal poops but one chickie had some poop on its butt like it had a wet poop and it dripped down. Everyone was active and happy with mama tho

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did you decide not to treat for cocci? Valleyvet.com and Jefferspet,com have Corid for $17-18, but after shipping it is $25.

7. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    I went and got some today. Should i just treat now or wait and see if i see anymore questionable poo?

8. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Poopy butt
    [​IMG]

9. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Should i treat for coccidiosis?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would clean off the vent area with warm water and a bit of soap. If any chicks are showing lethargy, not eating, hunched or puffed up posture, or runny droppings with mucus or blood, then yes, I would treat for coccidiosis. All chicks will be exposed to coccidia in order to build up immunity to it. Those that get a big exposure may get the disease. Read this article:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by