1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible blood in stools

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimbymarie, Oct 1, 2011.

1. kimbymarie

kimbymarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Hi, I noticed this morning when cleaning poo out of coop which I do on a daily basis, that there was a stool that looked like it was a bit red and the pine shaving that were attached to it were a rusty red color. Could this be something to be concerned about. I have 6 hens and they all seem to be fine, not seeing anything that makes me feel they are sick. They were on medicated feed for 5 months and just changed over the past couple of weeks to a laying feed. I have heard that it is good to put organic apple cider vinegar in there water. Is there any merit to that. Thank you Kim

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

3. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    coccidisous?

4. kimbymarie

kimbymarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Thank you for the replys. I bought a medicine that would cover cocci, called sulmet. just read on bottle not to give to chickens that are providing eggs for human consumption. We do eat the eggs. I'm going to wait just a bit and see if there are any more blood tinged stools. Then if there is I guess I will try this med. How long will it take to know for sure it is safe to eat the eggs again. Thank you Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by