Possible BO and a Catalana vs Red star adult hens? Or maybe mutts?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aggie9296, Mar 14, 2011.

1. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I got these two hens with a coop off Craigslist. I was told they were RIR. Don't think they are red enough for those, and they appear to be 2 different breeds. Haven't been able to match them to any of the breeds on this site, so they might be some mixes.

Laya is a golden color with greenish legs. Large single comb. Huge fuzzy butt. Laying brown eggs, 5-6 per week. I was thinking a BO, but they are supposed to be docile and this big girl is AGGRESSIVE. (not towards me. just the dogs, the cat, the other chickens, wild birds in the yard, and one of these kids who might have been harassing her a bit) She puffs up and scares everything off. Pecked the dog on the head a few times. (chihuahua, not a fast learner). And she will body block anyone trying to get her treats.

[​IMG]

Red is a darker orange-red. Smaller single comb. Legs are yellow. Lays brown eggs, 5-6 per week. Has some dark tips on her tail like maybe a Catalana. She also looks a lot like our 4 month old Red Stars. Shes pretty docile, except the occasional nips at the pullets. She also squats down when I try to pet her, so I think I must be the rooster to her. I thought I was just the treat-giver-outer.

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think you have two very nice mixed breed hens. Score on the good layers!

3. marcumbackyardfarms

marcumbackyardfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Russellville
    BO's don't have green legs. At least the two that I have don't. Both of them are probably just a mix. The second one could be someone's red-sex link but I doubt it. If they both lay large brown eggs then you are good to go.

4. aggie9296

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Thanks! Mixes are kind of what I was thinking, too. Didn't fit any of the breed specifics. Good layers.

My dogs are usually mutts, so why not my chickens, too?

5. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I'll bet they are great layers! we started our flock in a similar way. we bought 4 hens and went from there. beware of chick days!!! they are addictive!

6. aggie9296

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Wellllll... I already got 4 Red Star pullets that haven't started laying yet. Just now 4.5 months old. Chickens are very addictive. I think I'll stop at 6...for now!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Yeah......let us know how that works out for you [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. aggie9296

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    after 2 dogs, 1 cat, 6 chickens, and now 1000 mealworms, I may be pushing the patience of the so-far patient SO...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by