1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible bound egg, pasted vent? Need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by koreygraham, Feb 21, 2014.

1. koreygraham

koreygraham New Egg

May 15, 2013
    Brantford, Ontario, Canada
    The weather has been horrible here for the past few days and I haven't had a chance to check closely on our chickens. Tonight I noticed one of our girls has a very messy vent and possible blockage. She is perched on the roosting bar and she's spread her tail feathers out and is trying to free up a messy blockage in her vent. All down the back of her legs is also covered in diarrhoea. We're really worried about her and we're not sure what to do next. Obviously I want to get her cleaned up; what is the best way to proceed? Should she immediately be quarantined from the other birds? Please review the video I shot earlier and any advice would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Korey

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
  3. koreygraham

koreygraham New Egg

May 15, 2013
    Brantford, Ontario, Canada
    Thank you! We're getting her cleaned up this morning and start some treatments. I'll post how she's doing later on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by