possible bound egg??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CreativeAnna, Sep 5, 2014.

1. CreativeAnna

CreativeAnna Hatching

Aug 7, 2013
    So, today I have received my first eggs from my girls (only three eggs, I have five chickens), yesterday marked the six month date and to my surprise I found eggs this morning. Tonight when I was giving them snacks I noticed one of my girls were acting odd. She was first standing with her tail down, at first I thought maybe this is what happens before they lay, then I noticed she was walking funny. Kind of with a limp, I inspected the leg and found no break and it didn't seem to cause her any pain when I touched it. So I figured I'd leave her alone maybe she's having a rough time with her first egg. Before sun down I went back out to check on her and she was just the same. I looked up the symptoms to egg binding, her eyes are open and doesn't seem to have any other symptoms other than tail down and the odd walk. Any suggestions?

Tomorrow I'm going to bring her in and let her sit in a warm bath. I'm thinking about keeping her inside in our large dog crate and allow her to relax in there, I may be being over cautious but I like my girls.. I also read that using a heating pad on low under a towel in the crate may help along with liquid calcium and oil to lubricate. Do you think I should give her another day on her own and not jump the gun yet? I picked her up and felt around her underside and didn't feel anything hard like a bound egg. Like I said this would be her first laying.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. Suzie

Suzie Crowing

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    If it were me I would give her a warm relaxing bath, dry her and put her back with the others...she may be stressed at being kept inside away from her flock mates if you keep her indoors..that is of course unless she shows symptoms of not eating/drinking or her demeanour deteriorates.

Good luck!

3. CreativeAnna

CreativeAnna Hatching

Aug 7, 2013
    I'm unsure how you got confused but she is not inside yet. Today my boyfriend inspected her stomach a little better by feeling around and didn't feel anything. She was actually with the other girls standing around. Only difference I can see today is that when he inspected her leg she tried to pull her leg back up away from him. I'm thinking she may a sprained leg, we have felt no breaks. Humm gonna google some more.

4. CreativeAnna

CreativeAnna Hatching

Aug 7, 2013
    Yep I'm pretty positive her leg is sprained, found a mark on it that looks like a bruise. Brought her in to give it a soak in Epson salt and am going to spoil her for a little bit inside til she seems a bit better. The others were pecking at her and not allowing her to eat and drink but she is eating and drinking fine. Will update with a photo when I can.

5. Suzie

Suzie Crowing

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    There was no confusion..you mentioned that you were thinking about keeping her inside, my comment was about the possibility of her being stressed if she were to be kept inside....have you looked at the underside of the foot affected to see if there is a raised area with a black or brown scab..that could be the cause...if so it will be bumblefoot, which can be treated.

Chickens sometimes will jump from heights that will cause lameness for a few days, hopefully she will be better soon, maybe check her leg for blue or green bruising marks..they sometimes take days to show from an injury.

Good luck!

6. Suzie

Suzie Crowing

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    While I was typing this you posted again...trust with your treatment and some rest she will be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: