Possible Brain Damage?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken-whisper, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Chicken-whisper

Chicken-whisper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    Mass
    I have a 2 year old RR that was rescued from a fresh kill shop. About a month ago we noticed her in her normal dust bathing spot but she had blood on the side of her head and she couldnt stand up. She surprisingly made it through the night and over a 2 week period of being fed and watered by hand through a dropper she became somewhat healthy. Now she stands and walks on her own and can eat and drink on her own but she has an obvious wry neck. I often catch her twisting her head upside down in a 360 and she will fall over or get her head twisted and stuck under her wing.

I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help her. If it is brain damage and what I should do.

We keep her in a large dog cage with access to food and water that she cant tip over or defecate in

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She might have some brain damage/neurological damage. There probably isn't much you can do for her. However, some vitamins might help. You can get special poultry vitamins , or some Poly Vi Sol infant vitamins from a supermarket.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop

Yes, make sure the vitamin does not have iron. Iron will kill the chicken.

Give her a couple of drops on the beak twice a day for several days. If she responds and the Wry neck goes away, you should probably make sure the Chicken feed you are giving them has the correct nutrients.(Yes, the best and often only thing to feed them is chicken feed--they do not do well on scratch alone even if they free range).

5. Chicken-whisper

Aug 9, 2013
    Mass
    She gets two drops of Poly every day and eats feed on her own

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I am so sorry for her!

She may get better over time. You are doing what you can for her.

7. Chicken-whisper

Aug 9, 2013
    Mass
    UPDATE

So our Alex started to get better, she ate by herself and drank by herself. The poly drops did wonders but sadly she passed away in her sleep. I learned that if we had started on the poly earlier she would have made it, but sadly I didn't learn about it until its too late. Hopefully though someone will see this if they are in need and will use what I've learned to help their own little chickies

1 person likes this.
  8. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Thanks for the Update and good for you for spreading the work on Ply Vi Sol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by