Possible Breed Outcomes?

MotherHen75

Songster
Dec 18, 2018
South Carolina
We got some fertile eggs from a friend and she has BB Red bantams and Self-Blue old english bantams. What would the crossbreed look like? I’m super excited!

We got some fertile eggs from a friend and she has BB Red bantams and Self-Blue old english bantams. What would the crossbreed look like? I’m super excited!
If by Self Blue you mean Lavender, then any possible outcross from that two phenotype will yield All Black chicks that will grow to be almost or nearly all black with some leakage around the hackle and saddle(for males) and nearly solid black females

Really? why so?

Self Blue/Lavender genotype: E/E(Dominant Extended Black), Ml/Ml(Dominant Melanotic), lav/lav(recessive Lavender mutation)

Black Breasted Red genotype: e+/e+(recessive wildtype, i.e Red Jungle Fowl) ml+/ml+(recesive, non-melanotic, non-melanized pyle zones) Lav+/Lav+(dominant non-lavender)

The F1s genotype will be E/e+(Dominant Extended black over wildtype), Ml/ml+(Dominant Melanotic over recessive non-melanotic), Lav+/lav(Dominant non-lavender over recessive lavender) a E/e+, Ml/ml, Lav+/lav bird is almost indistinguishable from a self-black bird.

Back
Top Bottom