Possible Brocken Neck on 12 Week Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tamraclovw, Dec 7, 2012.

1. tamraclovw

tamraclovw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    I found my new 12 week old female Black Copper Marans this morning laying with her neck upside down on her back. She was still breathing, so I brought her indoors. Her neck is completely floppy, but she blinks, swallows water and is still breathing, an hour later. When she flinches, her neck is thrown back into an awkward position, but when I reposition it, I can feel her muscles trying to control the movement.

My theories:
    1. She broke her neck trying to escape her smaller interior cage in the coop (the 12 weeks chicks are attacked by the larger hens) and it will only be a matter of time before she dies.
    2. She injured her neck trying to escape, but it could heal with time and rest.
    3. I just installed Avian Aqua Miser nipples a couple of days ago for the chicks, I've seen 2 of the 3 chicks drinking, but if she did not get the hang of it, perhaps she is dehydrated and weak, and will recover with fluids and rest.

Any opinions or comments? I don't know how much a chicken can suffer, and I hate to drag on her life if her neck is really broken and she can't possibly survive. On the other hand, I'd hate to kill her if she only needs a few days rest and fluids. Thanks in advance for any help you could give!

2. tamraclovw

tamraclovw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Well, nevermind. She went downhill pretty quickly and I decided she did have a broken neck and my husband took care of her. Too bad, she was my only pullet!

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am so sorry to hear the news.... thinking of you at this sad time.

Suzie
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by