Possible broke leg? Not sure

fuzzy8

Chirping
Mar 18, 2016
Escanaba, Mi
My girl friend just called me while I'm at work. She was taking the chicken wire top off by brooder that has a 2x4 frame. It slipped and landed on a 3 week old chicken. She says its hopping on 1 foot and also laying on its side and breathing heavy. I'm not sure what we should do or even where to start. Any help please

Oh that is too bad, but things like that happen. I would place the chick in a padded shoebox in the brooder, or other place where it won't be trampled, to rest and be kept quiet. Examine the leg for bruising, swelling or deformity that could be a broken bone. Sprains are common, but a broken bone can be splinted with tape or vet wrap, and other material. Offer it water and some chopped egg and chick feed by placing small containers near it, but also give some if it doesn't appear to be eating and drinking. Give it some time to rest first. Let us know how it is doing. Broken bones can take 3 weeks to fully heal. Here are a couple of splinting links for birds that you may like to read:
http://www.lbah.com/word/avian/fractured-bird-leg/
http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm

I just set it up in the brooder alone with food and water near by. It is not happy to be inside and away from its friends. He keeps chirping like crazy. I can't tell if the leg is broke. Just seems to be favoring the other and keeping the hurt one lifted. I have a video but not sure how to post it

You might want to bring in a calm chick for company, or figure out how to keep him with his flock, but safe. Chicks need others, and some use tiny mirrors or fuzzy stuffed toys for company. They may eat and drink better with another chick.If it is getting around, but only limping, try it back with the others.

Yeah it's been chirping for a few hours now. It's been with the other 6 chickens and 4 ducks since they were baby's. I haven't seen it eat yet. If I put him back out I'm afraid it's going to want to run around like the others do. Or if they ducks get close they skater away

Do you have a small dog or cat cage that you could put food and water in, and set near the others? Many use laundry baskets upside down for separation.

Back
Top Bottom