Possible broken foot??? HELP

charper0208

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2021
Helps!!

I found my female Pekin limping. Picked her up and brought her inside to check out what was going on. She has a few spots on her foot but I do not think it’s bumble foot. Her left leg is very swollen as you can see in the picture. It is very warm. Do you guys think it’s broke? Infection? What do I do??? I have her on LA-200 1ML once a day. She is being isolated inside and also wrapping her leg with vetwrap.
She was fine on Friday. When I went to go let them out Saturday morning I found her limping.

Also blue tint to her foot is from the salve im putting on her foot for the little scabs.

Attachments

• 19A79A4A-0CCC-4B7E-AE6C-D61FF572EE99.jpeg
    19A79A4A-0CCC-4B7E-AE6C-D61FF572EE99.jpeg
    528.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 9E0C0F2F-439E-4F25-92CA-9CAB2D2E05FA.jpeg
    9E0C0F2F-439E-4F25-92CA-9CAB2D2E05FA.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 22
She has two areas of pododermatitis (bumblefoot) development, but considering the lack of severity of both lesions, I doubt that is the direct cause of her lameness.

Is the duck able to put any weight on the leg?
If you bend the joints on the leg, do you hear any clicking or grinding?

Pekins, are large clumsy breeds by nature and from an anatomical standpoint are more predisposed to develop leg issues than other breeds. My hypothesis is that she tripped on an object or got her foot caught in something, and received some soft tissue damage (sprain/strain). Injuries, just like in humans, swell in birds due to the increased fluid, and white blood cell buildup around the area.

Keeping her on soft grounds, reducing her movement, and letting her bathe in deep cool water are two of the best things you can do for an injury. Additionally, to help reduce some of the swelling, you can apply a diluted down DMSO gel to the leg once, or twice a day. If you do not see improvement with that, I suggest bringing her to a veterinarian experienced with birds.

Back
Top Bottom