Possible broody chicken disappeared - need advice

trailrider330

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Midwest America
We got our first chickens just over one year ago and now have 16 of various breeds and ages. They all free-range during the day. One of our wonderful hens, who's about 15 months old, went missing about 1.5 weeks ago.

We thought she was a goner, but then this morning she shows up like nothing ever happened. My kids were elated, and so was I to tell you the truth. She looks good. She came into the coop, never really joined the others, ate, and now has disappeared again. Who knows how long she will be gone this time.

We are now suspecting that maybe she gone broody and has a clutch somewhere. However, as our roosters are only about 14-15 weeks old, her eggs are likely infertile. I am worried that she will sit on these eggs forever, especially since we can not find her or her clutch. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? The only thing I can think of is to sit and pray that she returns in the next week or so and try to watch her all day to see where she disappears to. Or are we better off hoping she returns and then lock her in the coop for a few days? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, trailrider330, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! If it was my hen I would keep her cooped up. If you do let her out, however, she might lead you to her nest. Good luck to you!!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Broody hens can indeed sit on eggs for much longer than it would take to hatch them if they were fertile. I would also recommend penning her up for a few days to discourage her from brooding.

Definitely catch her and lock her up! If you can find her nest and transfer the eggs, maybe that will work. We left a hen out who went broody, figuring she would be okay. She was fine for about two weeks, and then a coyote found her.

Back
Top Bottom