Possible Broody????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pirtykitty, Jun 25, 2011.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I have a rescued 3 year old Magpie Duck.. Just recently she has started waiting to lay her eggs until we let her out.. She has chosen to lay inside a bush we have in flower bed.. it makes a canopy. I have been collecting them the last few days.. Hubby said I could let them collect and see if she decides to hatch.. Daisy 2 year old Welsh harlequin went back to to night house to lay in nest box. Do you think Ellie might be going to go broody, and to help her along should i put some fake eggs in there too..

Also got a call from a lady this morning wanting hatching eggs when she finds her incubators.. Who on here will be offering hatching eggs in the next couple Weeks.. I told her I had a pair of Welsh harlequins and a magpie. I could give her some of them but didn't know it they would be fertile , as its getting close to daisy to stop laying.. my welsh harlequins are from metzers.. I told her I'd be able to send her to some others who would have stock better than mine ( Holderreads, sandhill), to order hatching eggs from.. I'll forward the information to her..

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Choosing a different nesting site could indicate she might be more likely to go broody when she has enough eggs laid - but is she displaying any of the other signs of broodiness? Feathers puffed out and quacking loudly..trying to protect her nest if you go near it at all??

3. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quacking loudly. not feathers yet.. She started the quacking loudly last week when she was trying where to decide to lay her egg. ( in the brush pile once, the rest have been in a bush in flower garden that spreads out into a canopy.. she has it worn into a bowl shape some leaves in there..

4. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    about 3 maybe 4 days ago she had started pulling feathers.. I noticed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by