1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by michael61182, Aug 18, 2014.

1. michael61182

michael61182 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    Help, I may have a broody hen.
    We have 3 hens that are 20 weeks old. One of my hens laid her first egg on Saturday. We took the egg and later he was after my wife clucking and looking everywhere for her egg. My wife put the egg back and she pulled it towards her and sat on it. A few minutes later, there was a second egg.
    I didn't think it was normal for a hen to lay more than 1 a day and in this case she laid 2. At least we assume they were both from her. The others don't hang around the coop like she does.
    Later we took both eggs and I cooked them up the next morning. They were delicious by the way. So late morning she was after my wife clucking an running all over the yard, in which my wife assumed she was looking for her eggs. My wife took a grocery store egg and put it in the nest and a little while later there was another egg. We took them and put 2 golf balls in there as my wife read that it helps to let them know where to lay.
    So Monday morning my wife read that she may be broody and that we should remove the golf balls. However, she didn't lay today and she doesn't really hang out with the other 2 much anymore. She was following my wife all day to clucking at her, which my wife is sure she wants her eggs.
    Please help, we want her to lay and we don't want her broodiness to rub off on the others.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She does not sound broody. She sounds like a pullet who has just started laying and is still getting accustomed to this new role. It usually takes them about a month to settle into their new lifestyle.

If she is not staying on the nest 24/7 except for one brief outing, staying put at least one night, flattening herself on the eggs, and fussing more loudly than usual when you come near, she is most likely not broody.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    X2

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Also broody hens do not lay eggs until they are done hatching out the eggs they are sitting on.

5. michael61182

michael61182 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    Thank you for the replies. That is a relief. We only have 3 chickens and their purpose is egg laying.

Should I put the golf balls back in the nest?

6. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I would. And watch for the signs that Judy listed above

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by