Possible Bumblefoot In Pekin Duckling?

StuporMan

Chirping
Mar 22, 2021
IMG_20210328_223832.jpg

I noticed this mark on my duckling's foot while I was massaging it (he likes you to rub his feet, he's a weird duck) and I was wondering if it looked like Bumblefoot to anyone? I've bandaged his feet up with vetracyine or however you spell it just in case. It doesn't seem to be irritated, no limping, and it's no warmer than their sibling's foot, the duckling pictured here has an identical mark on their other foot that I've treated as well, any help is greatly appreciated

View attachment 2589852
I noticed this mark on my duckling's foot while I was massaging it (he likes you to rub his feet, he's a weird duck) and I was wondering if it looked like Bumblefoot to anyone? I've bandaged his feet up with vetracyine or however you spell it just in case. It doesn't seem to be irritated, no limping, and it's no warmer than their sibling's foot, the duckling pictured here has an identical mark on their other foot that I've treated as well, any help is greatly appreciated
I would say it looks like a mild case of it. Try giving him a short epsom salt bath. @Isaac 0

I would say it looks like a mild case of it. Try giving him a short epsom salt bath. @Isaac 0
I soaked a rag in Epsom salt water and wrapped his legs in it for about fifteen minutes, afterwards I sprayed the feet with Vetracyine. I'm going to repeat this every day, if that fails I'll find a vet

Soaking it Epsom salts, or an antiseptic water mixture would likely suffice as far as treatment. It is abnormally early for these lesions to be developing in such a young bird, so do ensure their bedding is soft, dry, and clean of fecal matter, and waste.

Soaking it Epsom salts, or an antiseptic water mixture would likely suffice as far as treatment. It is abnormally early for these lesions to be developing in such a young bird, so do ensure their bedding is soft, dry, and clean of fecal matter, and waste.
Thank you, I think the fault for the abrasion can be put on me however, I let them out to play and didn't stop to think that they were too young for it so chalk it up to irresponsible ownership though I'll start clearing their bedding of waste more often to be safe

How is your little guy doing?
He's doing well actually! The foot wraps have been doing well (I ended up having to do some on my chicks as well thanks to me using the wrong bedding like a genius) and their scabs have been losing that dark coloration! Thankfully I caught it early and had some first aid supplies handy. They're still happy little ducks either way and it's been a treat just watching them grow up and play

He's doing well actually! The foot wraps have been doing well (I ended up having to do some on my chicks as well thanks to me using the wrong bedding like a genius) and their scabs have been losing that dark coloration! Thankfully I caught it early and had some first aid supplies handy. They're still happy little ducks either way and it's been a treat just watching them grow up and play
Great to hear! Try using wood chips or something similar if you are looking for a replacement bedding still. I change mine out once every 2-5 days depending on how may I have in my brooder and how old the ducks are

Great to hear! Try using wood chips or something similar if you are looking for a replacement bedding still. I change mine out once every 2-5 days depending on how may I have in my brooder and how old the ducks are
I actually swapped to pure pine shavings, I was using wood pellets before (the kind that turn to saw dust when they get wet) not realizing that they were too abrasive for the little birds' feet, so chalk that up to a lack of thinking.
I've been changing their bedding every day to be safe, I'm not going to let the ducklings out until the bumblefoot is completely gone, and even then it'll probably only be to swim in a kiddy pool so I can monitor them closely.

Back
Top Bottom