Possible Bumblefoot, what do i do???

DuckyMama92

Chirping
Sep 5, 2015
I have 4 Pekins that are 5 months old. We recently started letting them free from our backyard pen now that our human pool is covered, so they can roam the backyard. Part of it is cement which is probably the culprit and we will take necessary precautions but I noticed that the pads of their feet are puffy along the 3 bones (?) of their feet. Is this bumblefoot? It's not discolored, maybe a little pale but not black or anything. If it's bumblefoot... what do I do??? HELP. please.

Worried Mama

First, breathe.
hugs.gif

Pictures would help if possible.

Swelling can be caused by a number of things. And it may be early bumblefoot.

Soaking the feet in Epsom salt solution (don't let them drink it, it's a laxative!) twice a day will help, probably no matter what it is.

You may just be able to rub a little triple antibiotic on the bottoms of their feet twice or three times a day (once always just before bedtime) in addition to the Epsom salt compress or soak (two methods - compresses you wet a clean rag with the solution and wrap the feet and hold the duck for as long as you both can stand it, or you stand them in a shallow flat-bottomed bucket or bowl, holding them as long as you both can stand it, and not letting them sip the water).

Very helpful! Thank you! And yes I will breathe. Taking a trip to Tractor Supply tomorrow anyway. Soaking the feet will probably be easier than trying to rub antibiotic on them. I'll post a picture tomorrow when it's daylight.

With my two Pekins I put each of them in a rubber tub of warm water and epsom salts, covered their bodies in a big towel with only their head showing through, and let them soak for 20-30 minutes each evening. It worked! Got rid of the bumbles and the feet were fine after about 3-4 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom