bmetz

Songster
Jan 21, 2019
One of my hens has some redness on her foot. She has strange feet anyways...think a birth defect or something?..outside toes turn oddly and she has some kind of growths(had those for a long time-no issues) Not sure if she could have bumblefoot? I don't have any experience with it. Took some pictures tonight. Pardon the mud, it rained all day here so their feet are a bit muddy. Was a chore to take the pictures in coop with them all being curious about my phone lol. She is not one that is easy to handle...she is the one who seeks you out to peck you lol. Any thoughts on possible bumblefoot? Read something online that said could soak her foot in water with epsom salt and use vetericyn spray-would that be best idea? She is not acting like it hurts/limping. Worried as appears red is "streaking." Also-roost not pictured, she was on edge of droppings tray filled with PDZ. Thank you! 20191121_180409.jpg 20191121_181725.jpg 20191121_181943.jpg

Using a flashlight or just a headlamp helps. I try to shine it well over there heads. Lighting up the whole coop will certainly rule up my girls!
I usually use a pretty dull headlamp to try not to rile them up when I go to collect eggs and check on feed/water since dark pretty soon after work. Used a brighter one since I was taking pictures and had rushed out there after work..had it on since they came in the coop as it got dark. Will try to get a pic during the day since the weekend. Thank you

When you are able to turn the foot soak her foot in warm water epson salt flip the foot if they are not use to being handled a towel over her head can help do you have a dog crate you will need some triple antibiotic no pain killer should have that lined up first, after the foot is soaked on the bottom of it you will see a scab this one you need to pry of with your fingernail there is a core in there you need to pull out or squeeze out fill the empty are with triple antibiotic

Ok all here are the best pictures I got. I trimmed her nails while I had her as the couple toes turn oddly so the nail doesn't wear properly. Looks and feels like a scab to me. At first thought just dirt but no. So soak it in epsom salt water and then apply vetericyn spray when foot is dry? Or soak and try to get scab off etc? Keep her inside in a crate for a few days or put back out in run(depending on which route I go)? Don't mind keeping in if need to but colder here so worried about keeping in and putting back out. 35 or so degrees out right now. Thanks all!

first thing you need to soak with epsom salts and use a toothbrush and scrub her feet toes legs and get all that dirst and mud off her and i would get something for the coop too too much mud and dirt .it probably has leg mites and bumble foot. then take more pics

Back
Top Bottom