Possible Cankers + Bumblefoot + Avian Pox + Rain (PICS)

andorraclaim

Songster
11 Years
Nov 28, 2008
East Austin, Texas
So we just got a ton of rain for the first time since the Dino's died out here in Central Texas this past week. One of our layers seemed to like the rain soo much she deceided to hang out in it for an extended periods of time. Now she is lazy, uneating, undrinking, and drooling quite a bit. She also has quite a few raised lesions on one leg that have scabbed over. This is our first sick bird that we are having difficulty diagnosing.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

She is an Ideal 236 (Cornish x Leghorn), almost a year, about five pounds.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Sleeps standing up during the down in the run alone, drooling, not eating, still runs away from you

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Nope

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

The ton of rain we got this past week.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Free ranges during the day; normal crumbles, water in run

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

First of the day was green without matter, now it is pale, almost cream in color

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Generic Terramycin, standard dosage

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

No vet option

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

The supposed Bumblefoot...

bumblefoot.jpg

bumblefoot2.jpg

The Saliva and Supposed Canker

saliva.jpg

canker1.jpg

canker2.jpg

Her vent looks good to me...

cleanvent.jpg

Her wattle is turning purple; dehydration?

discoloration.jpg

Her last excrement...

poop.jpg

Her demeanour...

peepers.jpg

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Has a pretty roomy coop but there was a water leak (when it never rains, it's kinda hard to tell if you got one until it's a little late...) . Coastal Hay litter in the run...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions.

Last edited:
She got bumblefoot all right.

As for the yellow poop, my first thought would have been egg impactation.

Hopefully someone can make a correct DX.

The scab on the bottom of her foot is bumble foot, but looks minor. I am not sure what sores on the leg and toes are. They look kind of like bites of some sort.

The drool looks like sinus drainage. If this is the case then she has a respiratory infection of some sort. Not knowing if it is baterial, fungal, or Viral it is hard to suggest a treatment. First off terramysin in useless. Either LA-200 or Tylon 50 injected directly into muscle at 1/2 CC for up to 7 days, breast is best but thigh can be used. Dosage should be adjusted down for bantams. As bad as she is you may want to do the injections twice a day for the first 3 days.

The dark comb is also a sign of respiratory problems. Most likely she has some fluid/mucus in her lungs.

This is the standard treatment if you want to try and save her. Alot of folks would probably recommend that you put her down. No matter what you do, I would keep her seperated from any others.

Matt

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I think the lesions and the sinus drainage (or drool etc) are related. Maybe the minor Bumblefoot lead on to an infection? I imagine that their would be a sequence of treatment (treat the sinus infection is first, bumblefoot next, etc). Anyone else have any suggestions?

Matt gave you some great advice. I would start with the tylan and then move to the bumblefoot, which doesnt appear too bad yet. Also, with the yellowish poop, check for worms. Worms can make it yellow and foamy.

I'm not sure how BYC failed you. When someone posts the best advice possible, as Matt did, there's no real need to post the same advice (at least that's how I look at it).

Did the hen die? If so, I'm so sorry. How did you know it was staph?

andorraclaim: I would love to hear how you determined staph and what your course of treatment is. I may have a similar case. Thanks.

I would like to say the bumblefoot IS a staph infection. You were told she had bumblefoot (aka staph). I dont think byc failed you here. It is very difficult for the average person to diagnose an illness by pictures and words. Most people on this forum are just average people. All speaking from experiences. Matt gave you the best advice given the pics and descriptions. Sometimes you get alot of responses, some times you get none.

I understand how you feel about being failed because when ever I need help with a problem one of my birds are having, I maybe get 1 response to my plea for help. Then others get 500 responses on 'look at my first egg'. It is very frustrating. But at the same time, I dont want incorrect information given to me that may hurt my bird even further and i dont want replys just saying sorry i cant help. So please dont feel like byc failed you. There are really alot of nice helpful people here. Please let me know about your treatment and how your hen makes out.

Back
Top Bottom