Possible case of the bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Patricia143, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Patricia143

Patricia143 New Egg

Sep 15, 2016
    I need the advice of the duck experts. I have noticed my duck limping about a week ago. When looking at her leg it's swollen at the joint but looks just like the bottom of her good foot. I have been researching bumblefoot but can't decide if this is a case of it or maybe she sprained it as maybe that can happen? Any advice would help greatly! [​IMG]

2. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Welcome to BYC! I wouldn't exactly consider myself an expert, but that does look like bumblefoot to me.

3. Patricia143

Patricia143 New Egg

Sep 15, 2016
    [​IMG]

Bumblefoot?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  4. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    @Amiga should know. [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The bottom toes look swollen.

It could be bumblefoot, I would say there is some kind of infection or arthritis in there. If you have a good duck vet, that would be very helpful.

In any case, I would begin with Epsom salt compresses twice a day, followed with antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever) on the foot. I might also rub a little T-Relief ointment on the upper part of the leg, in case a sprain is involved.

The Epsom salt is a laxative - don't let her drink it. It is also anti-inflammatory and soothes pulled muscles, so it's good for bumblefoot and sprains.

T-Relief helps pulled muscles and sprains, also.

Added: I have started putting a quarter teaspoon of turmeric into two cups of food (I moisten their food) and it appears that one of my older ducks, who has had some kind of very mild limp (been to the vet once already) is doing much better. There has been no evidence of infection, no swelling or heat, the vet did a blood test for lead levels, so it could be she injured herself and re-injured herself. Anyway, thinking it might be worth a try with the turmeric, which is a natural anti-inflammatory.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by