Possible Chronic Egg Laying Problem

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Goodness. When it rains, it pours. I've been dealing with the aftermath of a shipping disaster and another duck with bumblefoot. Now another duck is in peril.

My Runner, Figgy, seems to be having trouble laying eggs. A month or so ago, she was egg bound. 3 days of intensive calcium supplementation helped with that, and she finally passed an egg on day 3.

Well, it's happening again. She sits on the nest but can't lay. She is eating, drinking, and swimming, and does not seem as stressed as last time (no panting or obvious signs of pain/discomfort), but still straining.

I am repeating the course of action that worked last time, but I'm wondering how or if I can manage this if it's a chronic problem.

Any ideas? I'm terrified of finding her dead in the nest one of these days.

I'm sorry to hear Figgy is not laying again. Tell us about their day? do they get good exercise? important to keep muscles strong inside for egg-laying. What feed?
All I know to do is keep up with the calcium gluconate when you see her struggling. Warm baths to help her relax to help her pass it. I know a few members who have gotten implants for their ducks because of laying problems.

It’s definitely worth consulting with an avian Veterinarian if there is one available, and I do realize that this is not always possible. They may have a better or different calcium supplement or a recommendation on diet to help prevent future issues + they may be able to run tests to see exactly why she is having this issue.

That being said, my 6 year old Rouen, Daphne, has chronic reproductive issues that sound extremely similar to your girl’s. Daphne has been struggling off and on since I got her (4+ years ago). When she’s well, she’s bright and sassy and wild about foraging. However, she will be hit with almost sudden lethargy, straining, and inappetence. Her “problem eggs” are soft-shelled, so I can never feel an egg on physical. She gets soaks + oral calcium (Calsorb paste), and she somehow miraculously recovers with home care most of the time, although she occasionally needs emergency Veterinary intervention.

I followed her DVM’s diet recommendation (Mazuri Waterfowl). She has oyster shells available at all times. She gets regular exercise. And yet, nothing has “fixed” her.

I totally understand the fear of finding her dead on the nest someday.

I once considered the hormone implant, but apparently it can not be done in my state(?). I also read that it can cause lethargy and decreased appetite + it doesn’t last that long.

Anyways, I’m rambling, for which I apologize. I hope your poor sweet duck is doing better this morning. Please keep us updated!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear Figgy is not laying again. Tell us about their day? do they get good exercise? important to keep muscles strong inside for egg-laying. What feed?
All I know to do is keep up with the calcium gluconate when you see her struggling. Warm baths to help her relax to help her pass it. I know a few members who have gotten implants for their ducks because of laying problems.
They are penned in the morning, but they get to forage in the covered yard for several hours. They have about 1000 sq ft. When I am out on the property, we let them out. We have waaaaay too many predators to free range. They have a large kiddie pool, too. They are fed Nutrena All Flock with added nutritional yeast and whatever they forage in the yard, though it's gotten sparse in the last few weeks. They have oyster shell and egg shell available at all times. I was thinking I could make her a "treat" of peas with the gluconate. I feel bad catching her every day to give her the calcium. She's starting to avoid me.

I will ask the vet about the implant. I am beginning to feel over my head with the duckies. They need a lot more care and attention than the chickens do. I feel like I'm not doing a good enough job with them.
:hit

It can be overwhelming at times. Try to get her to take it over peas or another treat she likes.
I can't imagine your not taking care of your ducks I know better.
These poor ducks were bred to lay so many eggs no wonder they have problems.
I have lost 2 to laying issues and it is heartbreaking. Sometimes no matter what we do it isn't enough.
I wish someone who has had the implant done for their duck would reply.
one is @onaharley the other is @CrystaBub
Haven't seen either of these ladies on in a while though. :(

It can be overwhelming at times. Try to get her to take it over peas or another treat she likes.
I have lost 2 to laying issues and it is heartbreaking. Sometimes no matter what we do it isn't enough.
I gave her a little bit of peas with the gluconate on it. I can do that daily easily. But I will look into the implant. I don't want her to have to deal with this at all.

I've had the implant with 2 of my ducks. What information are you looking for?

I've had the implant with 2 of my ducks. What information are you looking for?
I know what it is, but I do have a couple of questions.

What is the implant placement procedure like? Is there recovery time that requires special care? And does the implant need to be taken out or replaced (ie how long is it effective)? And did it come with any side effects?

Sorry of these are silly. I just want to be informed as best as I can.

Back
Top Bottom