Possible Circulatory ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CariLynn, Oct 17, 2011.

1. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    One of my hens, a 3 year old Buff Orpington hen, Sansa, has been slowly going downhill and I have done research on line, I have read all the diseases and symptoms and today called our small animal vet to please see her. Have an appointment for tomorrow early afternoon.

For the past few days Sansa has been weak, she walks but with a slight gimp and if she has to get out of the way of another hen, she will stumble and sometimes fall but gets back up with a slight struggle. Her feathers are unthrifty, today she was in the sun ruffled up, her comb and wattle are pale, and she does have very watery stool, when you look at her vent it leaks out though she seems to have good muscle control if you touch her there. When I checked her vent I noticed the skin around it and down on her abdomen/lower chest is a dark purple, red color, I feel nothing that would lead me to believe she is egg bound nor is she straining or has she laid since getting her 3 or so months ago.

I do have her in a large kennel in the basement with fresh food, water, and hay to stand/sit/lay in, which ever she prefers and near the door so she does get light. When I called the vet and explained what was going on, one tech said it really sounds like a circulatory problem or a heart problem, that chickens can get that too.

Anyone have any ideas I can look up or read about and try to figure this one out? She does try to eat but she is thin.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. CariLynn

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    At this point I am not sure what is going on, I went over all sorts of diseases and complications and can't come up with any one thing. VERY frustrating. I have the appt. tomorrow with the vet but will make Sansa as comfortable as possible, gave her a scrambled egg with some probiotics, which she is gobbling down. Nothing I have read talks about the bruised looking abdomen on her, I am not even sure if I should put my little finger, well lubed and in a glove, in her vent to check for an egg to rule out that being stuck. Part of me doesn't want to stress her anymore than I have to, though I do want to clean her up some.

GREAT news...my large animal vet called, asked if I could bring her in this afternoon....fingers crossed.

4. CariLynn

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    After our vet looked her over, did a few tests, it was decided that while it is neurological in nature, because he was leaning toward Merek's Disease and deep down, so am I, I chose to have her humanely put to sleep as I could of brought her home, kept her in a large kennel, fed her and slowly watched her deteriorate. I can't do that to an animal. I did request a necropsy done on her, so hopefully he will have some ideas to share with me later tonight or tomorrow and did say he may send some tissue samples off to state as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by