Possible Coccidiosis -- Just a few questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Jun 12, 2011.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I know you all have probably heard these questions a million-billion times over, but I did some digging around the site and found nothing as informative as I would've liked. (To be fair, I'm probably not looking for the right things. This is the first time I've ever seen this before.)

My chicks are halfway between four and five weeks old. Last Friday, they had their first official day out, but it was stormy/rainy and so they were in the shelter of the garage with the door open part of the way. I understand coccidiosis comes from the earth or the air, and there's no doubt that dirt had been tracked into the garage over the years, so I think it's safe to say that's when they were really first exposed. Yesterday, they had their first day in grass. Within three hours of them going out yesterday, I started seeing partially bloody stools, but I didn't see fully bloody stools until this morning. I went ahead and mixed a little apple cider vinegar in their water this morning after seeing that.
    The chicks show absolutely NO signs of any illness. In fact, if I hadn't seen the bloody droppings, I'd never have known they are sick. They still run around, fly everywhere, scratch, peck, eat, drink, everything! The only other symptom I'd say they have is that they seem to be drinking just a little bit more than usual.

First of all, is this actually coccidiosis? Does it usually come on that fast, or would there have to have been and earlier exposure (because I don't think they were exposed any earlier than Friday)?

Second of all, I hear the best treatments (amprol, corid, sulmet) aren't actually sold for chickens. What would the dosage be for 13 4-to-5-week-old chicks? And which of these treatments can be found at a Tractor Supply Co. (since that's about the only place around here I can go to for this stuff)?

Third of all, I have never seen ANY coccidiosis in the 7 or so years I've been around chickens and NONE of my girls have been raised on medicated chick starter (save for maybe the 7 hens we've gotten at point-of-lay; I don't know for sure on those ladies). Should I switch these chicks over to medicated starter to be safe or would that just be too little too late?

Thanks in advance for any answers and sorry if you're tired of seeing this!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they really have it, med starter and ACV are both too late to start and you should start treating. However, does not sound like what you are seeing is actually blood, as your birds are still acting healthy.

Lethargic birds, who stop eating, stop drinking, and start loosing weight will happen before you see real blooddy poops. Bloody pops will look like splatters of mucus filled blood, not a normal poop with red/brown.

You probably have cocci in the flock, because that protozoa is everywhere, but your birds have all been able so far to build immunities naturally without the aid of medicated feed. If they are not loosing weight or acting lethargic, I would not worry. If they do start actually becoming lethargic, then you need to treat asap.

Any of the drugs you listed will work, and at least for sulmet, which is the one I have on hand, there are poultry dosage instructions on the back.

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Okay, thank you for your answers! I'm going to go ahead and get some form of treatment today so that I have it on hand, just in case.

The droppings I'm seeing are more like red-colored, erm, 'butterscotch pudding' poos ( [​IMG] ) than actual full-out blood. I take it from your discription, then, that this is okay?

4. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Just went out and checked on them. They're flying around their pen like little maniacs, seemingly just for the joy of flying around. [​IMG] If there was any doubt in my mind about what you said, it's gone now.

Thanks again for the quick response! [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Pudding poos are probably them just making life interesting for yoiu or eating new things they found while out... to make things more interesting to you. LOL

Cocci poo is like someone had their tooth busted out and spit on the ground. You can't miss it or doubt it when you really see it. Glad your birds are fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by