Possible Coccidiosis - looking for direct dosage amount

CJS Flock

Songster
Jul 14, 2020
Hi all,
I have an 18 week old Brahma that has been showing classic signs of Coccidiosis. Everyone else is eating, drinking and acting like normal chickens. I want to give her a direct dose of Corid and continue to include it in the water for the rest of the flock. Have any of you given a direct dose and if so, how much?

I have an 18 week old Brahma that has been showing classic signs of Coccidiosis. Everyone else is eating, drinking and acting like normal chickens.
Age doesn't line up with coccidiosis UNLESS just recently introduced to your flock/pasture. Throwing fixes without identifying cause is not ideal.

First and foremost.. please check the crop for function.. Is it empty, puffy, hard.. any smell coming from the beak? Can you post a photo? Are droppings being passed and what do they look like?

How many birds in how much space, recent weather pattern, standard feed routine including treats and supplements?

:fl

She, along with 4 others were placed out with our older flock about 4 weeks ago. Her poop is runny dark brown or yellow and foamy. Crop feels fine, a little empty but given that she isnt eating like she usually does I expected that. No smell from the beak. Weather was extreme during Christmas week in that we had snow and temperatures in the teens from 60+ a few days prior. The last week has been mild in the 40-50's and has remained like this. Feed is Purina layer pellets. No long term storage of food as they eat it quickly. They get some scratch every now and then as well as blueberries every 3-4 days when I have them. 500 sqft outdoors and the coop is 50 Sqft. 13 chickens. I've attached one picture from the 29th of Dec to compare with what she looks like today. The full body photo is from today. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Linda.jpg
    Linda.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Linda 2.jpg
    Linda 2.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 19
She, along with 4 others were placed out with our older flock about 4 weeks ago.
That looks like a cockerel to me.. Does it look like one to you?
1609868514561.png

1609868765760.png

I wonder if the behavior has anything to do with the older ladies keeping him in line and allowing them to eat first?

I truly don't think it's coccidiosis according to your description.. But someone who may have another perception and maybe information regarding your first dosing question.. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive I always value and appreciate when y'all share your comprehension, TIA!

What happens when you offer treats? is behavior still way off compared to normal?

Hoping all is well and you're just a well aware of subtle changes conscientious type keeper ! :fl

What signs has your cockerel been showing that looks like coccidiosis? Symptoms can include lethargy, weakness, standing around puffed up or hunched, not eating, and runny stools. Corid is meant to be put into the water, and they will drink the proper dosage for their weight. You can give a few drops of undiluted Corid a couple of times a day to jump start or increase what they are drinking. Using the 2 tsp per gallon of water disage for the liquid is good for 5-7 days. Give 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon if you are using that.

Could he just be maturing and acting more aloof and different from the pullets? You can get some droppings checked for coccidiosis and worms, if you take some combined ones into a local vet, but always call ahead to make sure they will help.

Thanks everyone! The behavior has been all of the above, runny poop, lethargy, ruffled/puffed feathers around the neck. I noticed about two days ago that he/she seemed to be a little less active than normal. Yesterday morning, I saw shim laying in the coop, which is not normal. I have a camera in the coop and noticed this morning that s/he was the last one out and was very listless on the roosting bar. I'm out of town and asked my husband how he/she was acting and he said she was just standing in the run and pecking around a little. He did say she is eating/coming for treats when offered. Also that he is a she...LOL Got her from Meyer's hatchery and he may be in denial that there is a possibility she is a he :)

He is a he in my opinion. One of my Meyer chicks a few years ago turned out to be a cockerel. It happens occasionally. In the pics that @EggSighted4Life posted, it shows the hackle and saddle feathers on a rooster. The hens have more rounded feathers. Also the coloring he has looks male. Corid is safe for all to drink. They usually start building up resistance to coccidia in the soil and poop, in the first few months of age, but some can still get it if there has been wet and warm conditions, or immunity problems. A fecal float can rule out coccidiosis.

He is a he in my opinion. One of my Meyer chicks a few years ago turned out to be a cockerel. It happens occasionally. In the pics that @EggSighted4Life posted, it shows the hackle and saddle feathers on a rooster. The hens have more rounded feathers. Also the coloring he has looks male. Corid is safe for all to drink. They usually start building up resistance to coccidia in the soil and poop, in the first few months of age, but some can still get it if there has been wet and warm conditions, or immunity problems. A fecal float can rule out coccidiosis.
thank you! I agree - probably a male. Wondered about it when he got red wattles and comb at an early age.

That looks like a cockerel to me.. Does it look like one to you?
View attachment 2476763
View attachment 2476767

I wonder if the behavior has anything to do with the older ladies keeping him in line and allowing them to eat first?

I truly don't think it's coccidiosis according to your description.. But someone who may have another perception and maybe information regarding your first dosing question.. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive I always value and appreciate when y'all share your comprehension, TIA!

What happens when you offer treats? is behavior still way off compared to normal?

Hoping all is well and you're just a well aware of subtle changes conscientious type keeper ! :fl
Thank you! I spend a good amount of time with them and try to be aware of changes. They are my feathered babies :)

Thought I’d update everyone. Looks like we have a worm issue, not coccidiosis. Now that I’m back home, I’ve checked the poop in the morning and found that my Brahma had blood in its poop and my white rock had what looks to be blood and worms in hers. I do know it’s them because of where they sleep/roost at night and there’s no doubt on the poo from the Brahma given the size 😳 I’m attaching some crappy photos 😣 I always find it helpful when I see people have followed up with more info.

Attachments

• 7689D73A-C159-4496-90D1-3A31ABE6CD51.jpeg
    7689D73A-C159-4496-90D1-3A31ABE6CD51.jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2E87FDC3-5FD7-4004-AB62-C358E73A48F5.jpeg
    2E87FDC3-5FD7-4004-AB62-C358E73A48F5.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom