Possible Coccidiosis or Worms in Adult Hen? Mucous-y poop and squishy crop.

tcfoster

Songster
May 21, 2018
Murphys, CA (Sierra Nevada foothills)
Hoping you lovely people can help me with my hen Houdini (Deens). Yesterday I noticed her suddenly laying alone puffed up in the nesting box and there was a big huge mucousy poopy mess near her and her bottom was very messy with a whitish mucousy poop. We quickly separated her and cleaned her up and are trying to figure out what she might have. More info:

- Deens is an Easter Egger/Amerecauna hen, approx. 2.5 years old. Not over or underweight. Up until Monday she was laying an egg every day/every other day and acting/eating/drinking/roosting totally normally.

- In the past she has had some respiratory issues due to being exposed to some sick pullets (foamy eyes and sneezing) but has not had those symptoms for about 8 months.

- She is currently in the house in her own crate and is not eating. She will drink a little bit of water but keeps pooping green and white log shaped and mucousy poops (pic attached). We started treating her with Corid last night and Fenbendozole today but no sign of improvement.

- As of now, no one else in the 12 bird flock is sick.

- Her crop is very squishy. Should I give her some ACV?

if I'm forgetting anything you need to know please let me know, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6792.jpeg
    IMG_6792.jpeg
    715 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6793.jpeg
    IMG_6793.jpeg
    597.1 KB · Views: 12
We started treating her with Corid last night and Fenbendozole today but no sign of improvement.

Her crop is very squishy. Should I give her some ACV?
What dose of Corid and Fenbendazole are you giving?

I would not give the ACV. If her crop is not emptying overnight, then I would treat her for potential sour crop. Miconazole or Clotrimazole can be used for that. Details are in the article linked below.

She's drinking well?

Any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen? Any lice/mites?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What dose of Corid and Fenbendazole are you giving?

I would not give the ACV. If her crop is not emptying overnight, then I would treat her for potential sour crop. Miconazole or Clotrimazole can be used for that. Details are in the article linked below.

She's drinking well?

Any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen? Any lice/mites?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you Wyorp Rock you always reply and I appreciate it so much.

We have Corid and Fenbenzadole in her water - the water container is 200 ml so there is half a ml of Corid and .2 ml of Fenbenzadole. We also gave her a Corid drench directly last night of a tenth of a ml. Does that make sense? I'm trying to interpret what my husband is telling me. I am not the best at math. I am thinking I need to give her Fenbenzadole directly since she hasn't had that much to drink - she is drinking ok. Not great but if I hold her she will take sips. No lice or mites. No fluid that I can feel in the abdomen. Thank you for the article about the sour crop. I was wondering if thats what it was.

We have Corid and Fenbenzadole in her water - the water container is 200 ml so there is half a ml of Corid and .2 ml of Fenbenzadole. We also gave her a Corid drench directly last night of a tenth of a ml. Does that make sense?
No it doesn't 🤣 It's late !

OK Liquid Corid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. But that can be split up of course - like 1/2 teaspoon per quart.

Fenbendazole is given orally at 0.25ml per pound of weight once a day for 5 days in a row.

Direct oral drench of liquid Corid is .10ml per pound of weight given for 3 days. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water.

No it doesn't 🤣 It's late !

OK Liquid Corid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. But that can be split up of course - like 1/2 teaspoon per quart.

Fenbendazole is given orally at 0.25ml per pound of weight once a day for 5 days in a row.

Direct oral drench of liquid Corid is .10ml per pound of weight given for 3 days. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water.
Thank you thank you thank you. We just dosed her directly with Corid and Fenben. and will try to get something for he potential sour crop tomorrow. she isn't wanting to drink much but she took a few bites of crumble and she talked to me a tiny bit, a good sign! Don't tell my others but Deens is one of my fav girlies and I want to save her if at all possible. Thank you again.

Thank you thank you thank you. We just dosed her directly with Corid and Fenben. and will try to get something for he potential sour crop tomorrow. she isn't wanting to drink much but she took a few bites of crumble and she talked to me a tiny bit, a good sign! Don't tell my others but Deens is one of my fav girlies and I want to save her if at all possible. Thank you again.
She is doing so much better! Eating and drinking and acting much more normal. However she still has a squishy crop. I picked up both Miconazole or Clotrimazole so I will give her some of that. Do you have one that you prefer?

She is doing so much better! Eating and drinking and acting much more normal. However she still has a squishy crop. I picked up both Miconazole or Clotrimazole so I will give her some of that. Do you have one that you prefer?
I'm glad to hear she's doing better!

Either of those is fine to use, they seem to work the same. I usually give Clotrimazole, but I must admit, I'm very cheap and buy it at the Dollar Tree for $1 It works just fine. I suppose if I could get Miconazole just as cheaply, I would use it too:oops::lol:

I'm glad to hear she's doing better!

Either of those is fine to use, they seem to work the same. I usually give Clotrimazole, but I must admit, I'm very cheap and buy it at the Dollar Tree for $1 It works just fine. I suppose if I could get Miconazole just as cheaply, I would use it too:oops::lol:
Thank you again for your quick responses and help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. She is like a brand new girl this evening, she was even chatting to me again! She ate a grape, some yogurt, and some crumbles after we gave her the meds. Tonight was the third round of Corid and second of Fenbenzadole. I ended up giving her Miconazole but I have both on hand now just in case. She had some very normal poops too!

I am wondering - I should probably treat the rest of the girls in the flock with both the Corid and Fenbenzadole in their water, don't you think? Just in case? Deens is still isolated in the house of course, but I would hate for any of the others to get sick.

Thank you again for your quick responses and help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. She is like a brand new girl this evening, she was even chatting to me again! She ate a grape, some yogurt, and some crumbles after we gave her the meds. Tonight was the third round of Corid and second of Fenbenzadole. I ended up giving her Miconazole but I have both on hand now just in case. She had some very normal poops too!

I am wondering - I should probably treat the rest of the girls in the flock with both the Corid and Fenbenzadole in their water, don't you think? Just in case? Deens is still isolated in the house of course, but I would hate for any of the others to get sick.
On more update - this morning she is really feeling great and back to normal but she started pooping roundworms - like a lot of them and they were alive it was disgusting! I couldn't believe it because I am so diligent about cleaning their poops up off the ground and in the coop everyday. I always check them but I guess she had a bad infection. So, I will continue with 3 more days of the fenbenzadole plus I will treat the rest of the flock. After her 5 days of fenbenzadole, I will need to retreat in 2 weeks is that right? Thanks again.

On more update - this morning she is really feeling great and back to normal but she started pooping roundworms - like a lot of them and they were alive it was disgusting! I couldn't believe it because I am so diligent about cleaning their poops up off the ground and in the coop everyday. I always check them but I guess she had a bad infection. So, I will continue with 3 more days of the fenbenzadole plus I will treat the rest of the flock. After her 5 days of fenbenzadole, I will need to retreat in 2 weeks is that right? Thanks again.
I would treat the rest of the flock for worms. The Fenbendazole is given orally, not in the water. So dose each bird at 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days.

There is no repeat when giving the Fenbendazole for 5 days in a row.

I'm so happy that she's feeling much better! Getting rid of those worms is great!

Even though you keep a tidy coop/run, chickens can still get worms. Earthworms can be a vector, but roundworms are common in poultry.

Back
Top Bottom