Possible Coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mama fluff, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Mama fluff

Mama fluff Chirping

Nov 4, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Found this on my poop tray!! First thoughts Coccidiosis? However none of my chickens have any signs no sickness ! They are eating , drinking and as active as usual in 30 degree weather! I’m literally with them everyday and spend time with them and nobody seems sick ! Would it hurt to treat with corid anyway even if it’s not that? How common is this ? I’ve never had it before! I use sand in my coops they are never damp and I clean everyday! This would also be a adult chicken that left this dropping! Please help i dont know what to do ! 81188689-C406-4471-A841-F8A20D926796.jpeg

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  2. Suedan

Suedan Songster

Sep 18, 2019
    Maryland
    I'm sure others with more experience will chime in. It is probably safest to start treating everyone now and have a stool sample checked to confirm if you can. Corid is safe. Coccidia can be deposited from wild bird droppings and some insects.
    The blood is in the stool and not "dripped" on the stool right?

3. Mama fluff

Mama fluff Chirping

Nov 4, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Honestly that’s what I can not tell? Was looking for broken toe nail or something cause looked like dripped on to me ! Could a pin feather picked out do this? Couldn’t find any injury or evidence but they do bicker a lot at roost time

4. Mama fluff

Mama fluff Chirping

Nov 4, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Also this is the only one I’ve found ! If it was cocci would I have more then one bloody stool?

5. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Yes, a broken blood feather could drip. Pin feathers coming in still have a blood supply until they are fully formed. How old are your birds? In older birds they have usually built some immunity and unless new birds are brought in carrying a new strain, or yours are moved to new ground, they won't usually get sick from coccidia unless their immune systems are weakened by something else. If they are acting fine, no lethargy, no one looks off at all (it can be subtle), all are eating and drinking well, then I would just keep an eye on them and look for any other abnormal droppings to see if it repeats. The consistency of that dropping looks pretty normal except for the red. If you think it's coccidiosis, then I would treat. As said before, Corid is very safe, and better safe than sorry. Any chance someone got into berries or something else that might look like blood? Coccidiosis does not always present with blood in the droppings, of all the 8 or nine strains there are only one or two that present with blood. Runny or mucousy droppings are commonly a sign, along with the other symptoms above. The behavior of the chickens is also important.

EggSighted4Life and Suedan like this.
  6. Suedan

Suedan Songster

Sep 18, 2019
    Maryland
    Some birds can be sick from it without bloody stool. You can always have a stool sample checked if you like to make sure. But yes, if there was one bloody stool from that I would think there would be more. :confused:
    I agree with coach, good post!

coach723 likes this.
  7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

I have seen a chick with coccidiosis pass straight blood droppings one time and perfectly normal a little later. :barnie

I would likely not treat JUST YET... and just make sure waterers are clean. I would treat if I saw more cause after this.

I personally hate sand (at my location, sure sifting get rid of solids but what about the liquids that seep down... moisture evaporates but ammonia and other stuff is still left behind becoming a big nasty litter box) and suggest deep litter or semi deep litter as a better way to invite good bacteria to fight off all the bad stuff left in droppings to run a muck on barren ground. It's (DL) a fantastic immune booster IMO. Just food for thought.

A group fecal float is a fantastic idea. :fl

Mama fluff, Suedan and coach723 like this.
  8. Mama fluff

Mama fluff Chirping

Nov 4, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks ! I’ll take your advice in consideration but in my area I found sand to be best I live in woods and it’s been so damp and humid it’s hard to keep anything dry sand has been the best and I have not seen any muck of any kind my sand is 6-8 inches deep and on wood not earth! But I appreciate your advice I’m always questioning what is the best product to go with here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: