possible colors

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by clintwilson59, Aug 8, 2010.

1. clintwilson59

clintwilson59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    ok i have 2 silkie roosters (1black & 1white). i also have 6 silkie hens ( 2black, 2white, and 2 splash\\black) and a buff frizzled cochin hen.

This coming spring hopefully they'll hatch out several. What would the possible color out comes be?

Thanks,
    clint

2. Hi Clint! Any chance you can split them into different pens?
    From the white x white, you should get more whites.
    From the black x splash / black (do you mean you have a splash hen and a black hen?) --- black x splash should give you blue and black x black should give you black.

I don't think there is any way to know for sure when crossing white x 'anything other than white'.
    When I've done that here (with Silkies), I usually get *partridge-ish looking* birds.

I've never had buffs here, so no guess for you.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hi Clint I'm Clint lol Welcome to BYC

Like Dipsy Doodle Doo, with the white roo, theres really no way to know what you would get becuase therese no way to know what White Silkies are masking, so theres no way to know what you would get from crossing with the white Silkie roo or the two white Silkie hens.

And also, what do you mean by splash/black ? They are two different colors and you specifed that you have two blacks and then two splash/blacks ? Can you please expain further ?

4. clintwilson59

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    well they are black except their bottom and back side it is lighter colored and is like a splash. they are kinda inbetween black and splash i guess they could be a really dark splash.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Well are they Blues ? In between Black and Splash is Blue as that is what you get when you cross blacks and splashes. Do you have any pics ?

6. clintwilson59

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    sorry i dont have any pics, i cant download them on this ancient piece of crud computer. if i can get to the librarry this week i will down load some.

i guess they might be blue but is an awfull dark blue like black almost. To me it looks like they are black with flour dusted on their butt.

7. clintwilson59

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    ok i found a pic of a silkie on google that looks like my to pullets. they are blue. Which i dont really see how you get blue from that color.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Exactly what colour are you expecting blue to be? WIth very few animals is it like the blue in a crayon box. In most cases blue is slate-coloured; sometimes darker, sometimes lighter.

9. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a black rooster that covered a white hen, and produced 2 chicks that appear to be silver/grey - but they are still little so no idea.

white X ? = gamble and anyone's guess...
    Black X black = black
    Black X Splash = Blue

Blue, Black, and Splashes can be bred together in the same pen to create the same splots of colors...can't remember percentages and exacts - brain = fried

Other colors should be bred to the same as you'll get unrecognized colors and nutty combos - unless of course thats what you want. Again when you don't know the background of the birds, specfcially the whites, you're taking a gamble on what your coming out wtih.

ETA: Blue can range from a powdery blue of gravel to a dark almost black color with lighter down on the underside and bum alot.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  10. clintwilson59

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    ok thanks guys, and i thought blue in silkies was a more grayish color, i guess not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by