Possible columbian or differant color Silkie.......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by reesepoultry, Nov 24, 2010.

1. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    I believe I have hatched out a columbian silkie. This silkie has black in it's neck and tail and wings. Also black on the foot feathers. This silkie is only 3 months old. *Please note pics make it look differant. This silkie is white/off white with the black markings.*

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    I would say its a Splash. I have hatched some like that before.

3. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    IMO it carries the Lav Gene.

4. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    Quote:I also thought the same thing. But, I don't think I would want to throw it in my Lav pen. I have gotten my lavs nice and I think this would ruin the color of my lavenders.

5. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    What color were the parents?

6. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    Honestly I don't remember what egg it hatched out of. I have a lavender pen, Partridge pen, & a BBS pen I hatched out of this year. so it could be out of any one of these pens.

I started keeping records after this one was born, just because of hatching out weirdo colors. I have lavender carriers in my BBS pen.

7. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I think you had two lav carriers from your BBS pen breed and hatch this fellow out.

8. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    possibly..... It's a very nice looking little silkie but, I have no clue where to put it. I am afraid of it messing up my pens I have established.

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:I also thought the same thing. But, I don't think I would want to throw it in my Lav pen. I have gotten my lavs nice and I think this would ruin the color of my lavenders.

Unless you know the bird came out of a lav x nonlav breeding, there's no way to know whether or not it is carrying the lav gene without it being present in the homozygous form.

10. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I'll take it off your hands [​IMG]
    It can go in the mad scientist pen [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] evil laughter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by