Possible coop?

Ahavati

Songster
Sep 12, 2016
Woodville, TX
Hi all! We are ordering our first chickens soon! We were going to build a coop, however we recently started cleaning out this greenhouse that came with our property and thought it would make a great coop. I figured we'd replace the roof with metal vs the corrugated fiberglass so they don't get too hot. (we're in deep east TX) The entire greenhouse save one wall is corrugated fiberglass panels. Would we need to switch these out or is it suitable? We'd cut windows for ventilation. Is this stuff paintable?? Advice/thoughts welcome!!

We do need to do a few thinks for predator proofing, but we're super excited!

Since you're in TX and greenhouses are designed to trap heat, I'd think the best bet is to replace some of the wall panels with wood and some in welded wire or hardware cloth mesh, for both ventilation and security reasons. Chickens don't do well in heat at all (some of mine start panting in as low as 85 degrees) and I don't know how secure those sorts of panels really are. The framework of the greenhouse looks useable though, so no reason not to repurpose it.

Depending on how predator proof you are looking for I would imagine some 1/2" hardware cloth on the side where the door is and on the opposite side would give you good air flow for the heat.

OK so replacing the ends with hardware cloth? We did consider using the plywood siding stuff. Need to price it out.

Not sure exactly what all predators are around. We've slowly seen more and more as we've been clearing our land. Lots of snakes, definite opossums, armadillos, I imagine there are raccoons out here though I haven't seen them.

We are considering putting hardware cloth on the floor and running it up the side just a bit to reduce anything coming in digging. Then adding it on the outside edge down a little ways out in the grass. Adding rocks or cement blocks along the edge.

OK so replacing the ends with hardware cloth? We did consider using the plywood siding stuff. Need to price it out.

Not sure exactly what all predators are around. We've slowly seen more and more as we've been clearing our land. Lots of snakes, definite opossums, armadillos, I imagine there are raccoons out here though I haven't seen them.

We are considering putting hardware cloth on the floor and running it up the side just a bit to reduce anything coming in digging. Then adding it on the outside edge down a little ways out in the grass. Adding rocks or cement blocks along the edge.

I have actually am starting a "predator proof" build. 1/2" hardware cloth for the entire pen ( costs a lot more but not much can challenge it) We are doing the floor in it too but I'm actually going to dig down about 6" and lay 3-6" crushed rock for drainage, lay my 1/2" mesh, border the run/coop in either 6x4" or concrete block, lay Patio tiles down and then place my bedding/mulch. this will ensure there is no digging up from underneath as we get rats and mice in the city and that leaves nice tunnels for snakes, and this prevents the chickens from digging down to the wire and bending it. sand which any hardware cloth in two pieces of wood with screws to keep raccoon prying hands from pulling out staples or a dog from ripping it off. if you do that you should be good!
you can always put your paneled siding on the inside as well to keep from drafts. protection always on the outside and comfort always on the inside.

Last edited:
I have actually am starting a "predator proof" build. 1/2" hardware cloth for the entire pen ( costs a lot more but not much can challenge it) We are doing the floor in it too but I'm actually going to dig down about 6" and lay 3-6" crushed rock for drainage, lay my 1/2" mesh, border the run/coop in either 6x4" or concrete block, lay Patio tiles down and then place my bedding/mulch. this will ensure there is no digging up from underneath as we get rats and mice in the city and that leaves nice tunnels for snakes, and this prevents the chickens from digging down to the wire and bending it. sand which any hardware cloth in two pieces of wood with screws to keep raccoon prying hands from pulling out staples or a dog from ripping it off. if you do that you should be good!
you can always put your paneled siding on the inside as well to keep from drafts. protection always on the outside and comfort always on the inside.

Ahhh I didn't even think about raccoons prying out staples, good idea!

Don't put HC on the floor....make an apron around outside instead, a bit less material and safer for chicken feet.
You can use screws with washers instead of between 2 pieces of wood.

I was wondering if it would be hard on their feet.

So today we took down the tree in front of the door. I found the corrugated fiberglass was breaking down and in certain spots were separated. We're going to pull it off and put plywood siding for sure!

So today we took down the tree in front of the door. I found the corrugated fiberglass was breaking down and in certain spots were separated. We're going to pull it off and put plywood siding for sure!
Too bad, but best to get rid of it.....you don't want chickens eating fiberglass.

Hey there, were over here in central Texas and luckily we haven't had too many predator issues. I have a friend here who lost 4 hens to a raccoon, took them forever to trap it, they're crafty. Our only concern is hawks and snakes. We haven't seen any snakes yet but one of our coops is raised off the ground and the other has the wire mesh on the ground floor (which is raised on pallets) that extends on the ground a ways out. The chickens are rarely down there as they free range during the day and sleep on the second story of the coop at night (so we just let them walk on the wire floor when they're getting water).
Hawks on the other hand seem to fly over the yard daily checking out our flock, not having a rooster this is concerning but they have a lot of places to hide underneath and they all seem pretty aware when it happens. We also send our German shepherd out on the regular so I think that deters some predators (we call him our big fluffy rooster!).
We've definitely had some heat issues with the hens this summer so make sure there's lots of air flow in the coop. We even bought a battery operated fan (with tiny opening so no beaks or feet could get caught in there). And on the really hot nights we put some frozen water bottles near the roosts and they seemed to like that.

Back
Top Bottom