POSSIBLE coryza plzz help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sager:)silkies, Nov 28, 2011.

1. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    my silkie had stuff around its nostrils it felt like tissue plzz help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and then later to come out and find that its sick looking and the tissue was gone and there was blood there so brought it into the house and saw that one eye was completely closed and the other almost all the way and something smelt kinda rotten like maybe dead tissue or something beats me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    plzz do all u can to help me figure this out

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    oh, I hate to tell you this, but that sounds/looks like coryza....that stuff you are discribing as tissue on the nostrils looks more like mucus plugs. You should do a search on BYC, and see what you find...coryza is a nasty bug...the outlook is not good. Especially if you have other birds.

I might add something to that effect in your title...you may get more oppinions and knowledgable people to look at your post that way.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Coryza. Severe case that took some time to develop to this level. Put the bird down and treat the rest of your flock, soon.

4. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    if i treat the rest of the flock they still have the diseases right so most ppl say kill the whole flock and dose it affect other birds

5. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

You should have the birds tested to know for sure what they have, then decide if u should cull.

6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:I agree. I think you should do this immediately. Coryza is nothing to mess around with.

7. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    I understand that and ty my other questions is that i removed the bird as soon as i seen symptons so is the rest fine and won't be carriers so i still can introduce other birds and they will be fine

8. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

sager:)silkies :

I understand that and ty my other questions is that i removed the bird as soon as i seen symptons so is the rest fine and won't be carriers so i still can introduce other birds and they will be fine

I think that if they were exposed to the coroyza birds, they could be carriers even if they don't come down with a full blown case of it.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by