Possible corzya?

CariLynn

Songster
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
State of confusion
I have a Golden Comet hen, approximately 4 to 5 years of age, about a week ago she started to show signs of her comb becoming discolored, it flopped over and yesterday, it was a darker color or a purplish. She has been eating, but not as vigorous as normal, a bit lethargic and when I could catch her, she would sit quietly in my arms. I saw no outwardly signs of anything, no foul smell, so I kept an eye on her.

Today, our temperature dropped and unknown to us, the small grate that we close at night, fell, trapping Belle out in the cold and rain. I caught her and she has bubbling around her eyes, her comb and now wattle are a dark reddish purple, she is lethargic, and we have her away from the main flock. She has lost weight, is breathing using her neck muscles and I am very concerned that she has possible corzya but is not showing all of the symptoms, least I don't think so.

Does anyone have any idea of what this might be? If I feel she is suffering, we will not keep her alive, and she will be culled out of the flock, as her health and well being are first and foremost, as is our main flock.

It doesnt sound like coryza or any other respiratory disease to me. I recommend that you inspect her for lice/mites. Another possibility is worms. The comb turning a darker color could possibly indicate a blood flow problem if it isnt internal/external parasites...possibly a heart condition or heart valve going bad. Start with the lice/mite inspection first.

Back
Top Bottom