Possible Coughing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bevsbirds, Jun 27, 2011.

1. bevsbirds

bevsbirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    I am new to this site and to chickens both. I have 16 cornish roasters that are 6 weeks old. I noticed that one of them was making a noise yesterday and again today that I'm not sure what it is. I'm concerned that it may be coughing. I didn't notice anything else as far as runny eyes or nose. It was eating and drinking. How do I know for sure and should I separate it from the other chicks?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I have one girl that everyday while either eating or drinking will cough. Like a hoarse horn going off! She inhales something either in the water or feed. So unless it becomes chronic, like all the time, I wouldn't worry about. If it gets bad with some sort of discharge, you may have to the antibiotics things. Good luck with your babies! [​IMG]

3. bevsbirds

bevsbirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Thank you so much for replying to my concern. As I mentioned earlier, I am very new to this and a little paranoid over everything. I also have 9 hens and 1 rooster that are 6 weeks old also as well as the cornish birds. I am enjoying it tremendously and very excited to see what the future holds with my hens. The first eggs will be very exciting! I decided to get into this for health reasons but I wasn't prepared to like the chicks so much. [​IMG] Thanks again for your help and I look forward to learning more from BYC and getting to know everyone. By the way, no changes today with the coughing so, hopefully, all is well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by