Possible CRD? Hard breathing then die?

Dunkopf

Songster
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
Kiowa, Colorado
I have 46 Cornish-x, they are 6 weeks old and are at about 4 to 5 lbs depending on sex. Started at 50. We lost 2 the 1st 3 days due to suffocation. Piling up under heat lamp. 1 a week later same cause we think. We do the 12/12. So in the morning they are ravenous. About a week ago I noticed one wasn't eating, she was just standing there and looked like she was breathing hard. Tried to give her some food, you know how there's always a few that are afraid to join in the fray, she wouldn't eat or drink. I put her in a separate building by herself with food and water and she was dead the nest day. This AM I had the same thing happen. Another hen standing there not eating, looked like she was breathing hard. I tried to grab her but all the chickens ran away screaming and she was with them. So I left and when I went back out they were all full sitting in groups. I will get her this afternoon when I give them their 2 o'clock feeding. Their feeders still have some in them by then but they always jump up when you poor food in.

I'm not seeing any fluids coming out of their faces. Do you think this is CDR? We live in Colorado and the humidity is very low. They are in a hoop style greenhouse that is 9' high in the center and is 24' x 48', both ends are covered in plywood with some cross flow at the top about 6' over them. Just a little. It is about 15 degrees warmer than the outside temp. The water gets a slight ice skim when it gets below 20. So I don't think it is caused by the environment.

If they keep doing this can they be butchered and eaten ok? This shouldn't be something that would affect food safety is it? My problem is that the earliest I can get them to the butcher is Dec 4th. We have never butchered before. Would like to try it but it's too cold in the garage and DW says that the wet feathers stink up the kitchen. Plus 40 chickens may be a bit much. We will do what we have too. As you know they are quite an investment at this point.

Thanks

Most likely it's heart problems. Cornish are very prone to it, especially close to processing age. Their get acites( fluid in the abdomen), causes heavy breathing, Hearts give out, causes heavy breathing(flip). Their legs go out on them too. Sometimes it's a race to get them processed before they all die...

Gosh. Like I said the hens are about 4 lbs at 6 weeks. I don't think that's excessive. Maybe it's just the heart not big enough to pump blood to the body. Like you said. That would be better than some disease that will wipe them out and maybe spread to our other flocks.

Last edited:
2 more dead ones this AM. Weighed one this time. It was 2 3/4 lb. 6 weeks old. I wonder if they are straining themselves trying to keep warm at night.

Are you turning the lights off for any period of time? If not do this tonight.... turn them off for at least 8 hours. You have to slow them down a bit or you will lose a few everyday. Like Katy said this isn't CRD... its heart failure.

They have no artificial light at all. I am actually giving them food at about 7 am and take it away at 6 pm. Is 3 lbs heavy for 6 weeks? Last time we did 27 during the Spring. We lost 3 that just keeled over. The rest made it to 6 and 7 lbs in 8 weeks. Much warmer weather and we didn't know about 12/12 at the time. I guess we'll cut their food down during the day.

Oh man, I panicked when I saw you posted a CRD thread.

Can you help keep them warm? Are they fully feathered yet?

Me and some friends raised several bathes of CX and Freedom Rangers. Mine were always in a warm barn with 24/7 food. There's were not and there was a HUGE difference in weights.

3lbs is about right for 6 weeks, maybe a little under. They most likely are using calories to keep warm rather than grow.

Try and boost the heat. You may also consider starting to process the larger ones now. They won't be huge but 2 to 3 pound birds still are good eating. This time of year is hard for meaties.

I was thinking the same thing. They are out of the drafts and the greenhouse holds some solar heat from the daylight. They are cold by morning though. I'm going to keep an eye on them and maybe start processing if they keep croaking. they're about the same size as a regular store chicken right now.

The nice thing about processing this time of year is no flies and no sweating. 3 roos went in my freezer this past Monday.

If there is any way to get a couple 250 watt heat lamps in there you will gain a pound or more in a week.

Back
Top Bottom