Possible crop issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LJoWilly, Jan 31, 2017.

1. LJoWilly

LJoWilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    This morning when I went to check on my hens, around 5am, I noticed that Einstein''s crop was not fully empty. It wasn't hard, or doughy, nor was it like a water balloon. Its was a soft pliable ball about the size of a cutie orange, maybe a smidge bigger. She had pooped during the night, just not a lot. Her poop was normal, maybe on the small'ish side. I brought her inside and crated her, with nothing but water.

At 11am, there was't much change so I gave her a cup of water with a teaspoon of epsom salt. She drank a lot of the water, also she laid an egg, her third one since she started. She is acting normal, no signs of internal/external parasites. Was wormed back in Oct.
    I have been massaging her crop gently every so often. There is no sour smell when I opened her beak.

I check all the hens' crop first thing in the morning every morning. I hope that I have caught this in time before it turns into something huge.

My question is, is there anything else I can do. She has not pooped for me since bringing her in at 5am.

Thanks for any advice,

Leanna

2. LJoWilly

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Update...she pooped! Twice, one small normal looking, and one like Carmel like consistently and really smelly.

3. Johnsbaby54

Johnsbaby54 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Georgetown, DE
    It sounds like she will be fine. Just keep and eye on her. The smelly ones are the ones you want to see.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  4. LJoWilly

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Thank you...her crop is still the same. She drinks water and it swells some, but goes down after awhile.

1 person likes this.
  5. LJoWilly

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Just wanted to update you guys on Einstein's condition. Finally this morning her crop was empty.Yay!!

On Thursday, I started them all on corid, and each day her crop was going down slowly, and each morning a little more poo was under her, so I knew she was passing something.
    I had read that cocci can affect a chickens crop, and I had ruled everything else out. I know this time of year the ground is usually frozen, but about 2 weeks ago, we had some unusually warm days, and my run was nothing but mud. I managed to get my muddy run under control for now, but it's the only thing I can think of that would have caused her to have crop issues.
    I just wanted to let ya'll to know that Einstein is going to make it!

Thanks for all the support!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  6. Johnsbaby54

Johnsbaby54 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Georgetown, DE
    Do you feed them crumbles or pellets?
    They say you have less issues with crumbles getting stuck in there crop.

7. LJoWilly

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    They are fed New Country Organics whole grains. They also get their feed fermented as well.
    Einstein will be a year old in April.

8. Johnsbaby54

Johnsbaby54 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Georgetown, DE
    I never heard of that feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by