Possible crop problem. difficulty swallowing and mucus in beak.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by patchouligirl91, Jan 17, 2015.

1. patchouligirl91

patchouligirl91 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    hey folks, looking for a bit of help. 2 weeks ago i noticed one of my pullets was limping. i tried to catch her, but she was too quick. By the next morning she was unable to walk at all. So i brought her inside to care for her. i assumed she had a leg/hip/pelvic injury. So i fashioned her a sling to take the weight off her back end, and gave her a little aspirin and food and water. She was eating and drinking fine up until about 4 days ago. When i went to check on her she wouldn't open her eyes. She kept snapping at the air and acting like she had something in her throat. (not gaping like gapeworm). She stopped eating and drinking and started doing a weird head sway and had a couple of short convulsions during the day. i gave her electrolytes with an eye dropper and tried to get her to eat some yogurt. i didn't expect her to make it through the night.

The next day she was still hanging in there. i continued with the electrolytes w/vitamins, aspirin and started her on tetracycline. She started looking better, cracked one eye open just a little and stopped the head sway thing but still not eating or drinking. She was still acting like she had something stuck in her throat. Opening and closing her mouth like she was chewing. i looked in her mouth but couldn't see anything.

Last night i went to give her some water with a dropper and notice her beak was full of clear mucus. Did a little research online and thought it was possibly sour crop. So i flipped her upside down and a huge glob of clear mucus came up. It didn't have any smell though. i gave her some epsom salt/water to rinse the crop and then started her on water with ACV.

This morning she had both eyes half open and was sitting up looking pretty good, but when she tips her head forward she has clear mucus leaking from her beak. i used a q-tip to clean out her mouth. Today i've given her a little aspirin and tetracycline. Everytime i give her water, mucus drips out her beak. i keep checking her crop and if feels squishy like a water balloon (she has only had liquids for 3-4 days) but it doesn't seem to be emptying very well. i haven't given her any liquid in an hour and a half and it hasn't gone down at all. She did make a small amount of poo today though.

i'm at a loss. i'm not sure what else i can do for her.

i've been raising chickens for over 10 years and have never come across anything like this before. i thought the leg problem was injury, but with the weird neurological stuff she had going on it might be something else.

She is 5-6 months old, not laying yet. She is not coughing, sneezing or have any respiratory issues other than the mucus in her beak. It's not coming out her nose.

Does anyone have any ideas? thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. patchouligirl91

Jan 17, 2015
    Thank you, lots of good info i hadn't come across before. i think there is a good chance she may have an internal infection and is dying, but i'm going to treat it as a slow crop and hope that she improves.

4. patchouligirl91

Jan 17, 2015
    My hen seems to be doing better today. She has both eyes open and she's alert. She still is not eating or drinking on her own. Her crop was empty this morning and she is making a small amount of poop (white only). i'm still giving her water with electrolytes an eyedropper, but she is having trouble swallowing. She still has some clear mucus in her beak. i gave her a little olive oil in case she has something stuck in her throat, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any other suggestions? She looks so much better than she did a couple days ago, but i'm afraid she's going to die if she doesn't start eating.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I'm not sure what is going on with your bird but she definitely needs to start getting some food in her or she will indeed die. The safest way to do so is to tube feed them, otherwise it's extremely slow going and risk of aspiration is high. Casportpony has some very good how-to info on tube feeding. If you can get some food into her then you will also be able to check her crop in the morning and see if it is emptying as it should overnight.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  6. patchouligirl91

Jan 17, 2015
    thanks. i'm a little afraid to attempt tube feeding, but will be going out today to get the stuff i need for that. i blended up some layers mash with water and a bit olive oil and fed her some last night with an eye dropper. This morning she had a pretty normal looking poo. It contained both the brown and white part, Although it is still mostly white.

She is showing interest in food, but still not eating or drinking on her own. She extends her neck several times every time i fed with the eye dropper. Any idea what that is about? i'm not sure if she has something stuck in the throat, or she's doing it to try and move food through the crop? Any ideas? i really feel like if i get her eating she'll be alright. She looks 100x better than she did a few days ago.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FYI, she could really benefit from fluids at 15ml per pound every 6 hours. [​IMG]

-Kathy

9. patchouligirl91

Jan 17, 2015
    today is day 5. i've been giving her water every day with an eye dropper. So she's probably been getting around 1 tbsp every half an hour.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How many tablespoons per day?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by